Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there any other type of bulb that can replace the cornering light bulb on the GL1500's ?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info,im going to try and fit an HID bulb in the housing :18grey:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

whats the bulb type on the kit you're showing me ?
is it a direct replacement that will fit the cornering light housing ?

·
Pwhoever
3,078 Posts
imported post

I just want to preface that I have no experience nor tried that HID conversion kit. However, I know that the above $6.00 bulb says H6M on the base. And searching H6M HID on ebay, I came up with that one. Looking at some of the other kits for H6M, they look identical on the base as the above $6.00 bulb. And the description for this kit starts off with H6M.

Based on what you are looking for, I am assuming you are considering converting your "cornering" lights to always on driving lights. One suggestion I would offer is to create an auxilliary circuit separate from the factory wiring harness and add a relay and switch to it. You will probably have to customize the wiring anyway to power these HID's so you might as well add an aux fuse block if you haven's already.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

great timing on this issue. I just pulled out a bulb to find a number on it and there was nothing readable in it. I went to the cyclemax site to get the bulbs and ended up spending $50 on a few other needed items. what a great site I'm now putting together a wish list!

·
Pwhoever
3,078 Posts
imported post

I know on my bulb, the bulb info is not on the base or on theglass but rather stamped on the top of the flat metal part that faces into the housing.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanx for the info Mike,thats what i needed,i just ordered 2 bulbs i have the ballast and relays,i'll let you know how it works out :)

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
imported post

Ghost I converted my cornering lights to stay on a couple of years ago. I was worried about the current draw also. I did not like the colour of the light produced by the stock cornering light bulbs.

This last winter I converted them with a H-7 LED bulb. About half way through the following post is a description with photos of how I did it.

On the last page of the post are some pics of them installed on the bike.

The LED's provide a whiter light that can be seen from further away and they don't draw that much current.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/99592.html

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hey Hodgy,i looked at your post those LED's look great,thanx for all the info :)

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well thanx to pwhoever i was able to order the right HID bulb i needed to convert my driving lights the job came out pretty nice,here's what it looks like,i also installed a set of retrofitted fog lights under my mirrors,they're HID as well...

Attachments

·
Pwhoever
3,078 Posts
imported post

Sweet!!! With the driving lights, what differences do you notice by going from regular driving bulbs to the HID ones? Do they seem to cast more light?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Oh yeah a lot more light,i see much farther ahead in the dark with these lights...

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Any problems of people flashing you for being too bright and in their face? Are the cornering HIDs bases you ordered the H6 base so there wasn't any modifications?
What are the lights mounted to the mirrors? Do you have part numbers what they are? What bulb base they have? How about putting a list together of what you used of part numbers/models so others can do something with theirs?
Thanks. The pics look great. I've been thinking of putting in the HIDs too.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Don't they put off less heat than the stock halogen bulbs?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

yes they are H6M type bulbs,no modifications needed,no one has flashed me as of yet lol
and as far as the lights under the mirrors are concerned,they are $20.00 driving lights from autozone that use and H3 bulb,i put an HID H3 bulb in its place and i had extra Ballast, so i wired them thru a relay that is switch controlled,also the mounting for the lights under the mirrors was as such,i had the baker mirror wings and wasn't noticing much of a difference with or without them,so i removed the wings and used the hardware to hold the driving lights nice and easy,also the HID bulbs are rated at 35 watts as far as heat displacement is concerned so they run a lot cooler than the 55 watt halogen bulbs

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.