Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GL1500se . . . 2003 VTX1800R
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Afternoon - I believe I had read that some models of the 1500 had a half cover in a pocket on the seat somewhere. Can you fill me in on any info? or was I dreaming???

I have tried a ton of deferent search terms here and on google and can not find a thing.

TYIA,
Brian

·
Pwhoever
3,279 Posts
It was only on the SE models and also only certain years. You might have to go through some of the online parts diagrams to determine the years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, I thought it was the SE - if anyone knows the years let me know.(y)

·
Pwhoever
3,279 Posts
Just a quick check shows that 1990-1995 SE models used this cover:

And the 1996-97 SE used this cover:

The 1998-00 SE no longer used the cover.

The way the cover was stored was inside the lower passenger backrest flap and used a zipper to access it.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
335 Posts
I think that 1997 and older Gold Wings had a seat cover in a zipper pouch in the passenger seat bolster.
If you have a '97 or older seat, pull the seat bolster forward and there will be a zipper couch there. Open the pouch and the seat cover will be in it if it has one.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Any body want to buy one?

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
519 Posts
The '91 Interstate GL1500 has a waterproof seat cover in the zippered pocket at the back of the seat. I think I might have an extra one on one of my "OLD" damaged seats.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the quick replies. I am always amazed at the wealth of information!
I have a 98 that I am in the process of resurrecting, so obviously I dont have one. I guess I did not realize it was just a seat cover and thought it might be something a little bit bigger.

Thanks again,
Brian

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Registered
87 GL1200A. 89 GL1500 Trike, 95 GL1500 Trike
15 Posts
Good Afternoon - I believe I had read that some models of the 1500 had a half cover in a pocket on the seat somewhere. Can you fill me in on any info? or was I dreaming???

I have tried a ton of deferent search terms here and on google and can not find a thing.

TYIA,
Brian
I have a 95 SE that has a cover for the seat sewn into the seat

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
623 Posts
Here is a link to a cover. Not a full size half cover but it does cover most of the upper bike. Packs into a bag about the size of a beer can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice covers. Does anyone get good use out of a half cover like that?

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
623 Posts
We use it mostly as a quick cover to use when parking for short periods. Mainly in case of a sudden rain and to keep sun off the bike during the day. Also keeps curious fingers off the bike.
If it does rain, our helmets are on the seat, staying dry.
I believe it's meant to be used as travel cover.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts

TYIA,
Brian
Not a half cover, just a rolled up seat "rain cover". My trike's OEM seat had it. May have just been on SEs, etc., I forget what years? The pouch was across the seat at the very rear most part out of the way. It only covered the seat if used.

On my 1200 bike & 1500 trike, I u liked a regular "half cover" that covered the travel trunk, seat, instruments, & has a padded windshield covering too. Elastic band, two loops near front to hook on engine bars. Put antennas down, hook rear of cover under rear lip of travel trunk carrier, pull front of cover below headlight, then pull rear below travel trunk, hook two hooks.

I had "full covers, rarely ever used them. Used the half covers in sun or if rain expected if bike/trike to sit more that a few minutes outside.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the great info. Sounds like the half cover would be a great way to go while traveling. I have carried a full cover before on previous bikes but the half sounds like it would work wonderfully.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,900 Posts
I use an after market half cover that goes over the trunk, antennas, and the windshield and front cowling.
Don't worry about the fenders.

the cover comes with stretch thongs to hook to the stuff underneath.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts