Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Pertaining to my 1999 GL1500SE...How far out is the "cruise control master switch" supposed to protrude in the off position? Is it supposed to "click in and click out?" If so...mine doesn't. Has anyone tried to open the switch and repair it?
Norm

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

It moves out about 1/8" further when it's out. It is a mechanical latching mechanism which commonly gets cruddy and needs cleaning and re-greasing.
Your mute switch and the emergency flashers are the same mechanism.
Don't worry about the cruise light being on. It hurts nothing and most of us do.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Rudy wrote:
It moves out about 1/8" further when it's out. It is a mechanical latching mechanism which commonly gets cruddy and needs cleaning and re-greasing.
Don't worry about the cruise light being on. It hurts nothing and most of us do.
Thanks Rudy, The resume switch wasn't working when I bought the bike...I bought another (used serviceable starter switch) unit and noticed the the master switch was in about the same condition as the one on there now. (had to mess with it to get it to disengage)I'll try it hoping the "resume" works.

Norm

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

circlepilot wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Thanks Rudy, The resume switch wasn't working when I bought the bike...I bought another (used serviceable starter switch) unit and noticed the the master switch was in about the same condition as the one on there now. (had to mess with it to get it to disengage)I'll try it hoping the "resume" works.

Norm
A large percentage of non-functional engage/resume problems are related to the brake and clutch levers not hitting those switches properly or the switches themselves are dirty, worn or defective. Rarely, if ever, is that problem related to the resume switches themselves.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

the clutch one is n/open....by the way

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

grambo wrote:
the clutch one is n/open....by the way
Normally open meaning; that my problem may be that the clutch switch is "staying closed?"
:?
Norm

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

when you pull in the clutch it cancels the cruz...it cant touch the switch with cruz on

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I'm almost glad to know it isn't only the 1800 Wings suffer from sticking switches. ;)

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

grambo wrote:
when you pull in the clutch it cancels the cruz...it cant touch the switch with cruz on
I follow you...If the switch is "touched" the cruise disconnects; further...it would not allow it to be engaged.
In my case...I can engage the cruise, but after disconnect initiated by the hand/foot brake has occurred; the resume button will not reactivate the cruise.
Norm

BTW: I repaired the cruise master switch, by disassembling it, cleaning it and "re-bending" the leaf spring below the "wire cog" that engages the "button slider."

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

circlepilot wrote:
grambo wrote:
I follow you...If the switch is "touched" the cruise disconnects; further...it would not allow it to be engaged.
In my case...I can engage the cruise, but after disconnect initiated by the hand/foot brake has occurred; the resume button will not reactivate the cruise.
Norm

BTW: I repaired the cruise master switch, by disassembling it, cleaning it and "re-bending" the leaf spring below the "wire cog" that engages the "button slider."
I'm still working the issue with the set light not coming on, but a great deal of "thank-you,s" from me to all of you for your help. I've learned a lot about Gold Wings in these past few months of ownership.
Norm

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

circlepilot wrote:
I'm still working the issue with the set light not coming on, but a great deal of "thank-you,s" from me to all of you for your help. I've learned a lot about Gold Wings in these past few months of ownership.
Norm
Have you tried adjusting the rear brake pedal cruise cancel switch?

Remember ... there are two switches attached to the rear brake pedal. The one closest to the actual pedal is the brake light switch. The rear brake pedal cruise cancel switch is located further back, closer to the rear brakemaster cylinder and is rather difficult to access/adjust.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

A quick way to try the rear brake cruise switch is to put your toe under the brake pedal and lift up as you try to set the cruise, I had the same problem and after spending a day checking all the switches and the cruise still not working I tried the method I just described and got it to work on demand. I lubricated the return spring on the rear brake pedal around the cruise cancel switch and haven't had a problem since. Good luck

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If your brake pedal Cruise Cancel switch is out of adjustment, them lifting on the rear brake pedal is not going to work. I suspect the sticking brake pedal affected your brake light switch and therefore the CC switch.

Right now, I need to clean/adjust/replace my rear brake lightswitch, as it's not lighting up the brake light, but it still cancels the CC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.