Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 Gl1500 with 64K on it. Today the the cruise control started going crazy. If i set the cruise at 55 it will be fine for about 30 sec. Then it starts to accelerate in 2 mph increments. it will stay at each speed for several seconds before it accelerates again. If I click the decelerate button once it picks up more speed. If I hold the decelerate button it slows down untill I release the button, After I release the button it starts to accelerate in 2mph increments again. It will keep accelerating untill you touch the brake or shut the cruise off. The spedometer seems to be steady so I don't think the spedo cable is the issue. Would a vacuum leak cause it to accelerate or decelerate. I am at a loss on this one any help would be appreciated.
Bill

·
Registered
239 Posts
One of 2 things in my opinion.
1) Does the speedometer jump any(at any speed)? If not go to step 2.

2)the accel button/switch is stuck. Take apart and check. Maybe the plastic button not coming back out all the way. Or the switch itself is dirty or sticking.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of right now that would cause it to gain speed.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,331 Posts
Hi,
I think I pretty much agree with Bones on your issue. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.
Please let us know if, and how, you got it fixed.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
welcome

First, welcome to the forum. You'll find plenty of great information here.

My 88 did the same thing. It was more predominant when it was colder outside. The problem went away after I lubed the speedometer cable so I conclude that was the fix (for me anyway).

Lubing is usually as simple as pulling the drive cable out thru the bottom of the casing. I used high temp wheel bearing grease.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well some how my cruise fixed its self over night. I got it out tonight and filled it up with fuel and went for a ride. I was going to diagnois the problem a little further. Every thing works perfectly now. You can't fix somthing that isn't broke so I will have to wait and see if it acts up again. Thanks fot the replys.
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.