Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2000 GL1500 with 19000 miles on it and I cannot get the cruise control to activate or engage. Also the air compressor will no longer run when the "Increase" button is depressed.
Not sure if it is a dirty switch or not but, would appreciate some input before tearing the bike apart.
Thanks,
Martin Picke.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
Im dealing with similar issues this spring. Mine was a relay located in the ECM which is located on the Left side of the bike down behind where your heel would be. There are a vertical row of fuses there & just to the right of that is a plastic cover. the relays are inside & the cover shows which relay is for. Good place to start.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2000 GL1500 with 19000 miles on it and I cannot get the cruise control to activate or engage. Also the air compressor will no longer run when the "Increase" button is depressed.
Not sure if it is a dirty switch or not but, would appreciate some input before tearing the bike apart.
Thanks,
Martin Picke.
You have to hold the check and increase button for it to work on the compressor. Do you get the cruise light on the gauge cluster? Not the set but you have to arm the cruise before it will set. All things are covered in your manual. :)

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have to hold the check and increase button for it to work on the compressor. Do you get the cruise light on the gauge cluster? Not the set but you have to arm the cruise before it will set. All things are covered in your manual. :)
Hi,
No light on the instrument cluster, the system will not arm. I will try the pressure check/increase buttons together. Funny, I have not ridden the bike for so long that I may well have forgotten that the two function together...lol. I actually do have an OEM workshop manual somewhere in a storage shed but not sure where.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
Hi,
No light on the instrument cluster, the system will not arm. I will try the pressure check/increase buttons together. Funny, I have not ridden the bike for so long that I may well have forgotten that the two function together...lol. I actually do have an OEM workshop manual somewhere in a storage shed but not sure where.
Thanks.

Does the "cruise on" light illuminate for a few seconds when you first turn on the ignition switch....?? To indicate the bulb is good....!

PS: Check your private message....!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try shooting some contact cleaner in behind the cruise button. Sometimes its a bit sticky or dirty. Can also try small amount of wd40 too but id try the contact cleaner first. Let it sit overnight ..then try the cruise button...see if it comes on.
For what its worth...once its on..just leave it on. Less wear and tear on the button.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Mike,
Yes, all is good with compressor. I can't believe that I forgot how to run that system.
As far as the cruise control, the lights do cycle on when the key is turn on. I think that it may be tied in with the engine kill switch.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try shooting some contact cleaner in behind the cruise button. Sometimes its a bit sticky or dirty. Can also try small amount of wd40 too but id try the contact cleaner first. Let it sit overnight ..then try the cruise button...see if it comes on.
For what its worth...once its on..just leave it on. Less wear and tear on the button.
Will do thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Will do thanks.
There is such a things as self cleaning switches. I'm not sure if Goldwings use them or not but it is not at all uncommon to have issues if you don't use them for a while. I know some of the guys "exercise" their switches regularly to keep them working. Being from Wisconsin I know already I will have at least one that will act up from sitting all winter.
This might sound odd but if you literally work the switch back and forth a couple of hundred times it will usually work. Then as Jim said, never turn that one off. The turn lights on my bike are the most likely to act up after winter but I just work them back and forth for 10 minutes and they stay good because they are always in use. I would say there is a fair chance if you work the cruise switch and watch the light it might well come to life. Seems if you really snap it back and forth is best but I'm not sure. Just makes me feel better. :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Last year I hit the "Mute" button for the stereo on the 1500, it immediately worked really good. Took half a can of CRC Spray and wearing out both thumbs working at that switch to get the stereo unmuted. Cruise button wasn't so stubborn, I got a "Cruise On" light in maybe 15 minutes. I just leave it on now.

Left switch cluster needs to come apart, though. Hazard flasher switch not working right either, after the rest of the can of CRC spray and really sore thumbs I gave up on it...

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Last year I hit the "Mute" button for the stereo on the 1500, it immediately worked really good. Took half a can of CRC Spray and wearing out both thumbs working at that switch to get the stereo unmuted. Cruise button wasn't so stubborn, I got a "Cruise On" light in maybe 15 minutes. I just leave it on now.

Left switch cluster needs to come apart, though. Hazard flasher switch not working right either, after the rest of the can of CRC spray and really sore thumbs I gave up on it...
Two more clicks and you would have had it! :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I would agree - my cruise activation switch is intermittent, so I just leave it permanently "ON". I did have an issue with my kill switch causing the bike to die/not restart. I finally pulled the switch apart and cleaned the dickens out of it and now it works perfectly. I think some minor disassembly and contact cleaner will benefit your situation.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all, I will try to cycle the cruise control switches then as suggest just leave it on.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem did turn out to be dirt on the switch contacts. Cycled the switches a number of times and the cruise control engaged. Lack of use on my part.
Thanks to all for the advise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good stuff...give it a good lubrication..in and out a bunch more times..then push it in and leave it there. I take the same approach to the kill switch. I use it sparingly...we have to turn off the key anyway..why where out a switch if we dont have too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts