Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need assistance:

I have 1989 GL1500. Cruise Control goes on but does not engage as it should over 40 mph. Would anyone know what needs to be replaced/repaired...

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
There is a lot of things involved in the cruise control, you will have to check some things to help us help you. First check that the brake lights are not staying on. If you have installed aftermarket brake and clutch levers they could be the problem. If not it could be wear where the levers contact the cancel switches, try pushing forward on the levers while trying to set the cruise.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Does the speedometer work smoothly? Mine had a shake in the needle. Sometimes mine would set and sometimes not.
I think Dave is correct on brake light switches being the #1 cause/problem.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave... Brake lights don't stay on and I don't have aftermarket levers. I will take the bike out and check what you said try the cruise control while pushing the levers... Clark

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Hey Crhiel,

Welcome aboard!! :waving:

The diagnostics for the cruise control starts on page 4-61 of the Honda shop manual. If you don’t have a Honda shop manual, please PM me and I will see that you get one. But a few quick things to try in the mean time are:

There could be a vacuum leak. The actuator is run by vacuum and sometime the hoses get hard and crack. You have a line that comes off the manifold and has a “T” fitting that acting as a 1 way valve. One side goes to the actuator controller and the other to the “vacuum storage container” that is located just above your belts on the left hand side. There is a red braided line that goes from the controller to the actuator. You might as well replace the little air filter on the controller at that time too. Any bit of sponge will do.

Also, you may have dirty switches that need to be cleaned in the handlebar controls. Only 2 or 3 screws to remove from under controls and they come apart. Carefully take the switches apart and clean with an electronics cleaner and toothbrush and then lube them with silicone grease (just a little).

Some people say just spray some wd40 or contact cleaner in there without the need to take things apart but take to the time to do a proper job. You won’t have to do it again for another 15 years. If you just empty a can of cleaner in there working the switch you will HAVE to do this every year. Only the old grease gets liquefied and the switch makes a bit better contact for a while. The dust and crap NEVER gets washed out and it just grinds away the soft copper contacts. Then you will have nothing to make contact with anything.

Good Luck,

Tim.

·
Registered
47 Posts
HI, Last week A friends Gl1500 cruise control also would not work ,we rode up to a shop in NH that only works on Gold wings the owner of the shop looked at the Bike and gave my friend a set of Bushings for the clutch lever.
after he installed the new bushing the cruise control worked like it should.

apparently when that bushing fails the clutch lever does not operate the way it should causing the cruise control to disengage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.