Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have only had this bike about a year now and since I got it the cruise control has always lagged about 5 MPH. Every time I would set the cruise it would drop about 5 MPH then catch up and maintain speed after that. It was a very annoying issue so I set out to fix it.

1) get the bike up to normal operating temp

2) take off the left side cover and the carb cover (it can be done with just these two covers removed but it is a bit easier if the left lower fairing cover as well)

3) loosen the nut above the actuator and adjust the cable out (make it longer) this will increase the RPM

4) using the idle adjustment knob next to the petcock valve and fuel filler cap as though you were trying to lower the idle. The idle won't drop at this point because the cruise control is holding it up. That's okay for now just get it out of the way.

5) Now back to the actuator. Adjust the cable IN this time (shortening it) slowly until you reach normal idle speed.

6) Once you reach normal idle speed with the cruise adjustment continue screwing it in for another 1/2 turn. Your idle should now be much below normal idle.

7) Tighten the lock-nut on the adjustment cable

8) Adjust the idle adjustment knob to normal idle range and enjoy an immediate cruise setting

After performing this procedure my cruise sets immediately and is much more enjoyable.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Great info :thumbsup:
I don't have this problem,,, but it may help others.
Thanks for posting :waving:

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info. I have the lag issue as well. I usually set the cruise and knowing it will drop, maintain throttle for a bit longer until the cruise catches up. A bit annoying for sure.

I thought it was related to a vacuum line. Hasn't bothered me enough to go searching though. Next time I have it apart I may give this solution a try. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
imported post

Did you use this adjustment because the factory suggested adjustment procedure did not work :?

Les

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

Done the same thing to mine. Adjusted the cable about 1/8 inch at a time until the lag was gone, being careful not to increase the idle. The factory adjusting marks are very hard to see.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Mine does the same thing if I just push and release. I have found that the lagging does not occur if I hold the set button in for a few seconds before releasing...

·
751 Posts
imported post

I don`t have the lag Issue But I do have an issue with when you set the cruise & when you hit the brakes The cruse will reset where it was but after the third time I will have to reset the cruise altogether not sure if the lag fix will cure this problem ?

·
751 Posts
imported post

I don`t have the lag Issue But I do have an issue with when you set the cruise & when you hit the brakes The cruse will reset where it was but after the third time I will have to reset the cruise altogether not sure if the lag fix will cure this problem ?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem. What solved it was replacing the cruise control filter. Since I did so, no more lag in setting the cruise, it takes right off the button...-Rich

·
Toolcraft4100
378 Posts
1500 cruise control gain adjustment

Did you use this adjustment because the factory suggested adjustment procedure did not work :?

Les
I found this thread by doing a search for how to fix the lag issue that I have been experiencing.
My question: Is there a factory suggested proceedure (as opposed to the proceedure detailed by rcurtisjr?) Where can I find it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I have only had this bike about a year now and since I got it the cruise control has always lagged about 5 MPH. Every time I would set the cruise it would drop about 5 MPH then catch up and maintain speed after that. It was a very annoying issue so I set out to fix it.

1) get the bike up to normal operating temp

2) take off the left side cover and the carb cover (it can be done with just these two covers removed but it is a bit easier if the left lower fairing cover as well)

3) loosen the nut above the actuator and adjust the cable out (make it longer) this will increase the RPM

4) using the idle adjustment knob next to the petcock valve and fuel filler cap as though you were trying to lower the idle. The idle won't drop at this point because the cruise control is holding it up. That's okay for now just get it out of the way.

5) Now back to the actuator. Adjust the cable IN this time (shortening it) slowly until you reach normal idle speed.

6) Once you reach normal idle speed with the cruise adjustment continue screwing it in for another 1/2 turn. Your idle should now be much below normal idle.

7) Tighten the lock-nut on the adjustment cable

8) Adjust the idle adjustment knob to normal idle range and enjoy an immediate cruise setting

After performing this procedure my cruise sets immediately and is much more enjoyable.
Thanks for the information, this will be on my winter fix it list.:claps:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.