Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm a VTX owner putting a cruise control on my bike. I don't have enough vacuum to run my criuse sufficiently and bought a 1988 GOLDWING GL1500 GL 1500 CRUISE VACUUM VALVE. I'm affraid I didn't buy a vacuum pump am I wrong?

If it is a pump I don't
understanding the 4 wiresthat go into the vacuum pump. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm excited to get my cruiseworking. Thanks for considering my request. Jeff

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

The vacuum valve is what controls the actuator, actuator is what pulls on a throttle cable for setting speed. The 1500 does not use a vacuum pump. It uses engine vacuum for control. During periods of low vacuum it will come from the reservoir tank like all other engines.

Not sure why a VTX cannot produce a vacuum.

JD

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
imported post

A VTX doesn't produce much vacuum, they barely have enough to operate the vacuum fuel shut off but if you have a check valve in the vacuum line and a reservoir it should be enough.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Jeff but may I suggest you remove your email address unless you love spam.:shock:

If the members here have any suggestions they'll post to this thread or PM "Private Message" you.

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

You might just need a reservoir tank with a check valve to prevent loss during low vacuum conditions present. i.e. large throttle openings.

JD

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the replys. I do have an air canister and one way valve installed now but it still loses the cruise at low speeds and some hills. Is there any Goldwings or othermotorcyclesthat actually have an air bump for the cruise. Thanks for any help. Jeff

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

Check your one way valve with a vacuum pump to be sure it is holding vacuum like it should.

From what Dave wrote I would try a second tank along with the first for a total of two or one very large.

Only vacuum pumps I know of are on diesels.

JD

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

A small heavy duty plastic bottle will do the trick. I was going to do that to my VTX. Instead I put the cruise on my car. I use a throttle lock now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.