Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been several months since my last post here.
Spring is just around the corner and we're ready for the road!

The other day I decided to change the cruise-control sub-filters on my 1993 Aspencade.
There are 2 of them. I found a way to make the job a lot faster than what is usually posted in order to get access to the 2 small sponge filters. All I did was to gently pull the plastic covers to one side, just enough so I could get my wrench in there. (See attached photo) Yes, true it is more thorough to take off the panels, but that can take a very long time to do....
The job was completed successfully!
I posted this thread so others may see it. Hopefully this will speed up this repair for everyone... :claps:

Good luck.
Steve (Toronto, Canada)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Looks to me like the saddle, fork tunnel fillers, radio/gas door block, foot-warmer control (for an SE) and side pocket plastics would all have to be removed beforehand, no?

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
That is not the cruise filter as you have labeled in the photo.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is not the cruise filter as you have labeled in the photo.
Hi, I have the white arrow pointing right to the black box where one of the small sponge filters sits. It sits right below this little black box. The sponge filter is attached to this box right on the bottom.
I read that it is recommended that these filters be changed every 24,000 kms. (15,000 miles)! You can actually use most household sponges costing very little. Simply take the old filters out and use them as templates and cut around with the new one.
Okay, if you really want the exact ones, you can order them directly from Honda. They don't cost that much....

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Be careful with that!!

As far as the plastic is concerned you are just about there with the exception of the small screw that attaches the shelter side cover to the faring. Just remove the 3 screws that attach the faring lower to the upper and slide the lower forward just a bit and the screw is right there. I wouldn't be pulling and bending on those peaces of plastic because it wont take much to crack them. I know that some people will leave that screw out just for that reason. I believe in taking the time to do it right. The shop boys may cut corners like that but if they break it they buy it.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Alternative filter material can also be from inexpensive sponge paint brushes, which seems to be similar to the original.
Thanks for the tips Steve!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alternative filter material can also be from inexpensive sponge paint brushes, which seems to be similar to the original.
Thanks for the tips Steve!
Thanks for the info.
I figured, my bike is 20 years old and the filters were never replaced, it was time to change them. One of them actually fell apart while holding it!!

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there another cruise filter in the same spot on the other side of the bike as well? I'm reading there are 2 but can't find but the right side one.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Is there another cruise filter in the same spot on the other side of the bike as well? I'm reading there are 2 but can't find but the right side one.
Hi,

I believe when folks talk about two small filters to check/replace in GL1500 maintenance schedules they are referring to the following:

Right-hand side is the sub air cleaner filter and is a thin flat rectangular sponge.

Left-hand side is cruise filter and is a slightly more chunky L-shaped sponge.

Not sure either of these filters wear out as readily as honda manuals or some past discussion seem to suggest, but worth checking and spending a few bucks to replace with an OEM part if they do happen to have had a rough life.

For pictures of locations see posts number 4 and 12 of the following thread:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/361334-sub-filters-gl1500.html

(I believe we have Dusty Boots to thank for the images)

Cheers, Nicholas.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Goldwinger Steve- I do it the same way on both sides for both the subair and cruise filters. Enough room just gently pulling the plastic out sideways.

As for the other subject that came up, I also just made filters last time out of some foam I had leftover from the tunnel foams I used to use. I have two new Honda 'L' shaped foamies to use next times though.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks gents, I got the right side done while I had the plastic off to sync the carbs. The foam was brittle dust. I'll work on the left side next. I hate messing with that reverse handle. I had it off only once before and it was a pain to put back so I'll try the quick method first. I'm sure that filter is also going to be dust.

Edit: now that I look through the write up above I think I was taking the reverse handle too far apart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.