Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cruise control has stopped working. I have checked the front and rear brake switches and the clutch switch. They appear to be working ok.
Is there anything else I can check before I get too deep into enemy territory.
The fuse is ok and the 'cruise on' light is functioning.
It started to happen intermittently and with a bit of flicking on and off with the switch the cruise would 'set'.
Now it has stopped working completely.
Any suggestions.
Cheers.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Have you cleaned your switches? (all the switches, those you see and those behind the Tupperware need to be cleaned yearly on these bikes)

Is you Speedo cable rusty inside? Speedo needle bouncing?
If so replace it and keep the new one lubed yearly with a good cable lube as all the cables on the bike need lubrucation each year, pm, if you want them to last. The outer sheaths are made of steel that rusts. Rust is cancer, cancer grows and puts pressure on the stainless steel cable, thus chafing it and binding, and finally breaking them.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
If it did work now and then with a bit of flicking of the switch there is a good chance that it's just a bit of dirt in the handlebar switch. Separating the switch block and getting some contact cleaner directly on the cruise set switch may be all that's needed.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
This has come up a number of times...my one item is the brass bushing on the clutch lever. Over time it does wear out and requires replacement. This could be one of your issues..if the cruise control is intermittant or quits when you hit a bump. If you have to bump you clutch lever to engage the C/C..try replacing the bushing..about $7.00 from Mother Honda! Mine is '96..but should be common for all 1500's

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...=Motorcycles&make=HONDA&year=1996&fveh=124255

On the drawing it is item #2...yep that little item could be your problem!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Really the only way to know is to troubleshoot. Since it's not working now is the time. Intermittent is much harder to find.

I like to narrow it down. The central location where all switches, power and grounds can be checked is at the cruise unit under the tail trunk (time consuming to access). However, all the wires run through a couple large connectors under the seat. This is where I usually begin probing with meter, manual/etm handy. This saves the time of going to plastic all over the bike. Also you can verify your repair without spending a bunch of time test riding.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
My cruise control has stopped working. I have checked the front and rear brake switches and the clutch switch. They appear to be working ok.
Is there anything else I can check before I get too deep into enemy territory.
QUOTE]
Your sidecar on the wrong side. It may create a cruise control problem...

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ding Dang I knew there was something wrong with that sidecar from day one.
I'll go and swap it to other side and let you know if it has fixed for the problem.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Really the only way to know is to troubleshoot. Since it's not working now is the time. Intermittent is much harder to find.

I like to narrow it down. The central location where all switches, power and grounds can be checked is at the cruise unit under the tail trunk (time consuming to access). However, all the wires run through a couple large connectors under the seat. This is where I usually begin probing with meter, manual/etm handy. This saves the time of going to plastic all over the bike. Also you can verify your repair without spending a bunch of time test riding.

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/cruisecontrol.htm

Use the above to diagnose your problem....-Rich

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
This same problem on our 1989 was the front brake lever brass bushing being worn. A piece of tape on the brake handle where the micro switch made contact was a temporary fix until we got a replacement lever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.