Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

good morning to everone.

can any one help me find where relay 2 is for the cruise control. I have spent the weekend sreeching for it with no success.

Its ment to control the hand brake, throttle control and foot brake, all these saftey switches run on a series, and when I test the circuit and get no resistance noted on my multimeter.. so I think theres a problem with the relay.

any help will be appreciated.

many thanks

tugwilson:waiting:

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

The problem is not the relay. If you get no continuity through the series of switches you need to check each individually to find which one, or which connection, is the problem.

As you are checking the throttle switch will be open unless you turn the throttle to off idle.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Hey there Tug...

... I'm thinking that you may be chasing the "brake lamp" (normally open) portion of these switches -- the Coil for Relay #2 ( I'm assuming a mid-90's GL1500 ??) is actually controlled by the Rear Brake Switch and the Handlebarbrake switch operating in parallel -- these brake switches get poer thought the #1 relay (horn) and supply the #2 relay with 12V when either switch closes --- To Verify this on your bike, key on apply the brake and watch the brakelamps... then pull the #2 relay and you'll see that the lamps don't work. - To directly answer your question, the #2 relay is in the relay box on the left side frame just inside of the front edge of the left saddle bag; #2 relay is in the center of the top row of 3-relays and should be labeled as "STOP LIGHTS RELAY" on the relay box lid...

This same 12V from the brake lamp switches IS also used to cancel cruise, but the series circuit that you mention (front brake, rear brake, and Throttle stop) includes normally-closed switches at each of the locations mentioned.

Checking the brake/throttle series switches:
The Rear Brake Cruise switch is "last" in the chain, so I always start there for diagnosis if I suspect this brake circuit (it's far more common to have the clutch switch at fault in my experience)

These 3-switches DO, as you say, work in a series circuit. They are supplied with 12V by the "ON" condition of the "CRUISE ON" switch (so with your key on, and the yellow "CRUISE ON" indicator illuminated on your dashboard, you can find the Rear Brake switch and look for +12V on the Brown (red-stripe) wire. If you've got 12V there, these 3 switches are all closed and in good order; look elsewhere for issues in the Cruise system (you can also confirm these switches by the presence of 12V at the Cruise Control's valve assembly. When any of these 3-switches open, the valves lose ALL power - there's a small inline relay, but that's seldom a fault)

If you do not have 12V on the Brown/red wire, then look for 12V at the Green (white stripe) wire... Voltage here means that the rear brake cruise switch is open (and shouldn't be). This 12V would come directly from the throttle switch (which I a bugger to get at). Rather than checking the Throttle switch, I go to the "first" switch in this series circuit, the Front Brake Cruise Cancel switch. Look at the front brake Cruise Cancel switch for 12v onits Green (white stripe) wire. If you've got 12V here and nothing at the rear brake switch, then the throttle switch (or inline wiring) is bad. If you don't have 12V on this green-white wire, Confirm that you have 12V on the Black (blue stripe) wire that comes directly from the Cruise On Switch (enable, not the set switch). 12V on the Black-blue and NOT on the Green-white shows an open (and should be) switch.

A I posted above, I'm not exactly certain on the year of your 1500, but the series switches (for the brake/throttle cruise cancel) have not changed much through production.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Great & easily understood reply Satan. I will be saving your reply for future use.

In the meanwhile Tug, besides not being able to locate the relay......do you have a problem?

IF the cruise control will not set and you have tail/brake lights, you may have the same problem I have. On occasion I must push outward on my clutch lever (to clear the clutch lever micro-switch) when my cruise control will not set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.