Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1500 Dash Lights blinked

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  cory1848 
#1 ·
imported post

Strange issue. This is the second time this has happened. First time was in pouring rain, second time dry weather but bike did sit through a passing shower outside. Soon after riding, about 2-3 miles, all the dash lights blinked. Just once, off then back on. No loss of power, headlights didn't blink, just the dash. They all came on, then off again. Then normal for the rest of the ride home.

Any idea what would cause this? Battery is new, terminals are tight. Everything works normally. Afraid this might lead to a more complicated problem. Electrical issues on a Wing isn't my idea of fun.

Thoughts?

Thanks

#5 ·
imported post

It might also be related to a poor connection around the ignition. I was messing around there once 3 yrs ago and I lost all dash lights, until I 'jiggled the wiring harness there again and all has been right with it since. :?

#6 ·
imported post

3-things come to mind --
Of course one is the white plug on the back of the cluster
A second would eb the larger black plug kinda 'under" the left poscket (about a dozen wires)
The last is the main ground (right side frame ground behind the right inner fairing above your oil dipstick)...

This is the illumination bulbs only? You didn't get a bulb-check fro the Reverse and Cruise Set lamps, or anything "more" than a brief illumination outtage?

#7 ·
imported post

I had something like that a few months back and someone asked if my LCD screen was blank when I had started out and that came on as well when the other lights flashed on? I started watching and sure enough my LCD was off before it blinked and was on as soon as the blinked happened. I think it has did it 3 maybe four times since then and each time it's the same and it had rained the night before. When my LCD is on when I start outI never notice a panel blink. Not sure if it's the same but I feel better with it now when it does happen knowing it mayjust be my bulb chcking.

#8 ·
imported post

I've had a similar thing, as I recall pretty much nothing displayed on my dash. Has happened 2-3 times in the past couple of years. I'm not going to worry about it. Everything else worked fine, ran OK, all the important lights worked.

#9 ·
imported post

satan wrote:
3-things come to mind --
Of course one is the white plug on the back of the cluster
A second would eb the larger black plug kinda 'under" the left poscket (about a dozen wires)
The last is the main ground (right side frame ground behind the right inner fairing above your oil dipstick)...

This is the illumination bulbs only? You didn't get a bulb-check fro the Reverse and Cruise Set lamps, or anything "more" than a brief illumination outtage?
Reverse and Cruises lights lit up it along with everything else, then went off back to normal.

What is a bulb check?

#10 ·
imported post

When the LCD first recieves power, it has a "timer" kinda circuit to breifly light-up a few of the indicator lamps (like the low-fuel lamp, the "R"everse lamp, Cruise-set and things like that (mostly the bulbs that you can not check yourself while you just "sit there"). The purpose is to allow the operator to "check" the lightbulbs themselves before counting on them to illuminate to indicate a certain condition for the bike...

If you're getting a "bulb-check" then usually there's something that's causing the LCD module to flip power on/off/on -- Loose connectors and contaminiation of the assembly are pretty typical.

HOWEVER - The LCD having a loose or contaminated connector will not affect the backlightins of the gauges. Flickering in the illumination bulbs is pretty much limited to the conenctors listed above, or ... back to the #3 tail/Main relay.

Given what you describe... I would recommend looking closely at the #3 relay for damage or signs of heat in its connector, as well as the #8 fuse (15A - TAIL / METER / POSITION). Pull and swap the fuse to be certain (several reports that the fuse 'fails' without showing the typical "BLOWN" look, and providing intermittant connection, which fits cloesly with your described symptopms).

#11 ·
imported post

satan wrote:
When the LCD first recieves power, it has a "timer" kinda circuit to breifly light-up a few of the indicator lamps (like the low-fuel lamp, the "R"everse lamp, Cruise-set and things like that (mostly the bulbs that you can not check yourself while you just "sit there"). The purpose is to allow the operator to "check" the lightbulbs themselves before counting on them to illuminate to indicate a certain condition for the bike...

If you're getting a "bulb-check" then usually there's something that's causing the LCD module to flip power on/off/on -- Loose connectors and contaminiation of the assembly are pretty typical.

HOWEVER - The LCD having a loose or contaminated connector will not affect the backlightins of the gauges. Flickering in the illumination bulbs is pretty much limited to the conenctors listed above, or ... back to the #3 tail/Main relay.

Given what you describe... I would recommend looking closely at the #3 relay for damage or signs of heat in its connector, as well as the #8 fuse (15A - TAIL / METER / POSITION). Pull and swap the fuse to be certain (several reports that the fuse 'fails' without showing the typical "BLOWN" look, and providing intermittant connection, which fits cloesly with your described symptopms).

Thanks! Will check that out tonight and report back.

#12 ·
imported post

What year is your wing, 96-97? Thats the years of the lcd dirty solder joints. They collect moisture from the ambient air and cause the panel to blink off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.