Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a 97 GL1500 SE and the only thing that is not working right is the clock in the dash. Set it to the right time and it gains about 30-40 minutes every hour?

Is there a possible fix for this or does it have to be replaced. Is a replacement available? If so is it a lot of trouble?

Thanks in advance.

Randy

Sorry I posted this twice. Mods can delete this one.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

There isn't a fix for that, it was very common issue on the 97 models. Most folk buy an LCD off an older model, they seem to be more reliable.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Minehas a similar problem, when the humidity is high it cranks outa min. every 10 seconds. When it warms up it starts working. I've read here somewhere others pulling the LCD connectors cleaningthen dielectric greasethem. Hear itskind ofa pain to remove. Figuredwhen I have toopen thedash for speaker replacement would do it then.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
imported post

BenMilner wrote:
There isn't a fix for that, it was very common issue on the 97 models. Most folk buy an LCD off an older model, they seem to be more reliable.
There is a fix.............

Pull the dash, clean the printed circuit board, reseal it and the problem is fixed. This problem only existed on the 1997 Wing's

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Will the process for pulling the dash be in the service manual when I get one? I would really like to get this fixed if it is as simple as cleaning the connections.

Thanks for any advise.
Randy

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

DBohrer wrote:
BenMilner wrote:

Pull the dash, clean the printed circuit board, reseal it and the problem is fixed. This problem only existed on the 1997 Wing's
What would you clean the printed circuit board with and what would you reseal it with?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The good news is - even a broken clock is occasionally correct, eh??? ;)

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

What for you need a clock.:? Sun comes up its AM, sun go down its PM.:cheeky1: And you don't need a clock at night cause there are to many deer on the roads to be out riding.:shock:

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
imported post

Hidepounder wrote:
Will the process for pulling the dash be in the service manual when I get one? I would really like to get this fixed if it is as simple as cleaning the connections.

Thanks for any advise.
Randy
Yes, it will be in the Honda service manual.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
imported post

Bamaeagle wrote:
DBohrer wrote:
BenMilner wrote:

What would you clean the printed circuit board with and what would you reseal it with?
Any kind of cleaner that will remove shellac off the printed circuit board. You may need to use an old tooth brush or such for the removal. Then use a silicone spray coating to seal the circuit board from moisture etc.

·
Pwhoever
3,254 Posts
imported post

The manual will get you to the point of removing the dash but will not give you info on getting to the circuit board because it is considered a non serviceable part (replace when it doesn't work). If you are fairly mechanically inclined, it isn't difficult, just tedious. It's been a few years since I did mine but it worked perfectly and solved my problem. IIRC, it's a matter of just removing a few more small screws to get to the circuit board. It would also be a good time to replace the bulbs for the display since you are in there.

·
751 Posts
imported post

This is just not true my 96 advances like this in Humid conditions or when raining !

·
Pwhoever
3,254 Posts
imported post

hummer5205 wrote:
This is just not true my 96 advances like this in Humid conditions or when raining !
What's not true? The 96-97 LCDs were affected. Mostlyhappens during conditions of high humidity, they will either blank out or quickly advance on the time.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I use acetone or lacquer thinner to clean flux off circut boards/solder joints. Don't get it on plastic or paint! If you do, don't touch it! It will dry quickly. Too much and it will melt paint or plastic. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Bamaeagle wrote:
Any kind of cleaner that will remove shellac off the printed circuit board. You may need to use an old tooth brush or such for the removal. Then use a silicone spray coating to seal the circuit board from moisture etc.
Hey, look who's back. Welcome back Buddy. :grin3:

·
Registered
228 Posts
The clock on my '97 gains time (and sometimes the LCD blanks out entirely) when it's parked & the air is humid. Keeping the bike on a battery tender helps quite a bit, and keeping it dry solves it completely. Because I'm concerned about long-term damage to the panel, during the winter (it rains here, pretty much non-stop, from mid-October to the end of April), I kept a small heater blowing slightly warm air up into the inside of the front of the fairing. Some thought this excessive, but the LCD panel stayed clear throughout, and the clock kept perfect time.

When in daily use, the bike's clock works perfectly.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
The clock on my '97 gains time (and sometimes the LCD blanks out entirely) when it's parked & the air is humid. Keeping the bike on a battery tender helps quite a bit, and keeping it dry solves it completely. Because I'm concerned about long-term damage to the panel, during the winter (it rains here, pretty much non-stop, from mid-October to the end of April), I kept a small heater blowing slightly warm air up into the inside of the front of the fairing. Some thought this excessive, but the LCD panel stayed clear throughout, and the clock kept perfect time.

When in daily use, the bike's clock works perfectly.

and I agree with this.
I lived in Phoenix and most of the time there, did not have this problem...
but here in Oklahoma, I noticed that when it started the monsoons, that the LCD wanted to get wonky.... told the wife about it, and the horrendous cost to replace a non-replaceable item, and the bike found a home inside the garage next to the Central Heating closet.... left the door open on that closet and the bike's clock and LCD panel was happy all winter long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.