Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Okay 1500 experts here goes:

Started bike and during warm up it went to 3 cylinders and died. Would not start up for 30 minutes. Finally it got started but noe only runs on 3 cylinders. Fuel filter is new, gas is full, the shut off pump is new. Mechanic says possibly bank angle sensor? He said plugs looked good and it has ran good for almost a week. Any suggestions or ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

if it was the bank angle sensor i don't think it would run at all. but it's pretty simple to bypass that unit. which cylinders are firing all on the same side or ??

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Well he explained that if it trips it has to reset before it will allow fuel to flow again. He thought when its on the 3 cylinders it is burning off the extra gas in the cylinders? I might just bypass it and if that is it then order it and fix it. Can you give some insight on how to do that? Thanks Skoto!

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

Who is repairing the bike you or the shop and what test was done to determine three cylinders are dead and which ones?

JD

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I am now. Can't afford a shop all the time. Maybe the fuel pump is going out or the relay? I usually start right up and give it a couple turns of the throttle and it will idle until I am ready to go. Now its like it's starved on one side and dies. But when I let it sit awhile it starts and runs fine so shop can't find problem.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
imported post

I think you can rule out the BAS. When it operates it kills the bike and it won't run at all. It resets when you turn the switch off and back on. It sounds to me like you have a fuel issue. You might try bypassing the vacuum fuel petcock there by the gas filler cap. You will probably need to remove the top cover to get access to do that.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

That is brand new. The dealer also double checked that part and he says its good. It did it 10 days ago and he could not it it to do again. First time since it's been back to me. I was thinking maybe out of time or carbs not tuned? I ride everyday almost so it does not sit much. It's 37 miles to work so I get it out and run it. It just turns over but doesn't try to fire up. Then when it does start now it sounds bad.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

Pull one plug on each side to see if it is getting spark when it does it. Also if it is not the correct high flow fuel filter it can cause a problem for lack of fuel. However since you stated that it will run good this may not be a problem.

Then again it doesn't rule out a fuel problem as well.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Will try the spark plug trick, but only really does it bad at a start up. Hate to change good parts.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Is this just after it was washed with spraying water or lots of ambient moisture, high humidity?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

No. I don't wash it with water. But I have been reading a lot about fuel pumps and it has me wondering. Any videos or tutorials on changing these out? Also, is there a good after market replacement cheaper?

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
imported post

Don't take it back to the guy that said it might be the BAS. About the only way it could run on 3 cylinders is fuel in only 1 carb. Just a theory but I would say the fuel supply is the problem and for some reason fuel gets to 1 carb easier than the other. My guess is the pump, a lot of those lately.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Don't take it back to the guy that said it might be the BAS.
+1
A technician that makes a ridiculous suggestion like that shouldn't be trusted with you lawnmower let alone your Wing.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Dave any good suggestions on pumps other than my spleen for Hondas? I see people using car ones and the Carter pump as well. Never done this before but think I should be able to handle it.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
imported post

People have been using a pump from NAPA, I tried searching for a thread but had no luck. PM AZGL1500, he has the info.
But first disconnect the line coming out of the filter and attach a longer piece of hose into a container and crank the engine to see if it is pumping.

Here ya go Pudgy, try this.
http://www.amazon.com/Carter-P72190-Carotor-Electric-Strainer/dp/B000BZZ7JS

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Will try test after work. Is it a 5/16 line? Getting fittings and hose from work for test.

Dave I found Napa parts and the Caters are cheaper. Will order tomorrow. Thanks buddy!

·
Pwhoever
3,338 Posts
imported post

No need to crank the engine and that will only work if you jumper the connector going to the ECM. There is an easier way. You need to disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter and hold it in a large glass jar or gas can. You can disconnect the black connector on the top plate on the gas tank for the fuel pump. Then find a way to supply 12V+ to that "B" terminal and see if you get a healthy flow. If you get nothing or a real weak flow, it will most likely be your fuel pump.

The original infor for the aftermarket fuel pump was http://www.berrysweb.com/1500_fuel_pump.htm there are also a couple threads that have decent pictures. It is a rather easy procedure to swap the stock to an aftermarket. Just make sure that you have less than a half a tank before unbolting the fuel pump assembly...

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
No need to crank the engine and that will only work if you jumper the connector going to the ECM. ..
That is not correct, if it were you would have to jumper it if it ran out of fuel or it would never start. The pump is supposed to work with the engine cranking. This way you don't have to take anything apart to confirm if the pump is working or not. If it doesn't work doing the test cranking then go farther to confirm if it is the pump or power supply.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.