Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 89 GL1500 that I carb problems with over a yr ago. I went thru the carbs early last yr and had it running excelent and was very happy with it, The bike has 246,000 on it, So I ordered the 4 degree advance trigger wheel and installed it back in July of this yr and also installed new timing belts. I went on a 1000 mile ride and it had more power and ran like a new bike again. I was very happy. The instructions for the trigger wheel said something about using 90 octane or higher fuel. I have always used 87 octane since it was new in 89 with no issues ... But after the install of the trigger wheel I decided to try higher octane. So I went to Premium fuel and about 75 miles after I filled up I noticed that it started to kind of labor and chug. When giving it a lot of throttle it just sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders and would not hardly get out of its own way.
I suspected the fuel right away. I stopped and got a can of Seafoam and it just got worse. I got it home and it wouldnt idle without using the choke. I drained the fuel and filled it up with 87 octane from a different retailer. Run bad still like it was only a 3 cylinder ... I figured fuel filter, no help, The bike is 23 yrs old with almost 25k on it and I have never had to replace the fuel pump. So I went to NAPA and got a Carter fuel pump. Installed it and no luck there either. I took the carbs off and went thru them and found no trash in them and reassembled them. I then dialed them in and used 2 vacuum gauges and a digital tach. The idle speed is about 780 and the vacuum is at 15 on the left bank and right bank is at almost 20. So I adjusted and adjusted and saw no real difference. It is now idling and sounds like its running on the right side. I took one plug wire off at a time and the drop in RPM's is substantial on the right bank... But almost has no impact on the rpm's when unplugging the plug wires from the left bank. I have it all back together now and it runs and sounds great when it is going down the road and has no hesitation from a stop. Doesnt seem to have break away speed but has a lot of power. Idle sounds funny though...

Any ideas of what or where to look next?

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I checked the timing marks just to make sure ... They are spot on the money. I will be checking the the vacuum hoses this week end sometime. I replaced about 95% of the hoses middle of last yr. But I did not replace the carb mounts. I am going to be shopping around for a pair of those very soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.