Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1988 GL1500 and when I pulled out from a traffic light something popped in the driveline and then no power to the rear wheel. It makes a grinding sound but I seem to have all the gears. I don't know if it is transmisson, driveshaft or rear gear. Any thoughts. Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Any way you cut it, you need to get the bike up in the air, and start by removing the tire, the rear end differential, and the drive shaft. Start by examining those parts, and by what you find will help solve the problem. But no matter what, you need to do at least that.

More than likely it's between the front u-joint and wheel :)

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
imported post

It's the splines at big end of d-shaft. Almost always, they are the first to go. Not being lubed (>60% moly paste only), and they die at 100k+ We just had my friends 140k mile 1500 apart, and because we keep it lubed, the splines look new. But, I've seen some ugly ones.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks for the reply, your discription sounds right on with what I felt and hear. I only have 52,500 on the bike but it is almost 25 years old. Time to take her apart, thanks again.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Hersh909

Let us know what you find with a reply here to help others later that use the forum search bar looking for answers.

How long have you had the bike? 1988?

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
It's the splines at big end of d-shaft. Almost always, they are the first to go. Not being lubed (>60% moly paste only), and they die at 100k+ We just had my friends 140k mile 1500 apart, and because we keep it lubed, the splines look new. But, I've seen some ugly ones.
+1

If you do not know when they were last lubed that is an oversight.

JD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.