Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal was to add driving on lights on my new to me 94SE in order to increase my visibility to other drivers.
Finding the light bar was easy as was a set of lights. Wiring was to consist of a fused 12 volt supply from the battery to a relay that was to be operated by a trigger wire that would turn off the lights when the engine was started.
Finding an easy access point for the trigger wire proved to be a task and I found a much easier solution here:
http://www.retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_Time_Delay_Relay-pid602.html
This relay will handle 30 amps and has a 10 second delay before latching after power is applied to it. All I needed do was pick up a feed from the Accessory Terminal to feed the trigger on the relay.
Now when I turn on the ignition the driving lights do not come on for 10 seconds giving me ample time to start the engine.
For driving lights I purchased a set of bullet lights at Wal-Mart for under $20.00. They came with 55 watt halogen bulbs that ran very hot. I found some MR16 LED bulbs on Amazon
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/LED-MR16-Spotlight-12V-Lumen/dp/B0051SRKVI/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1374502151&sr=1-2&keywords=led+mr16+12v[/ame]
for under $5.00 each. These only draw 4 watts of power and are actually brighter than the 55 watt halogens.
When I installed these bulbs in the Wal-Mart lights I had to replace the rubber spacer located at the rear of the light that butts up against the base for the bulb as the LED lights were a tad longer. I replaced that spacer with a rubber O-ring and it fit together perfectly.
The current draw is low enough on the LED lights that I could have probably gotten away without using the relay but prefer having it should I change to another better quality light in the future.
Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For some reason the Amazon link did not come out correctly.

Try this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/LED-MR16-Spotlight-12V-Lumen/dp/B0051SRKVI/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1374502151&sr=1-2&keywords=led+mr16+12v[/ame]

Sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi, there are many different ways we can help ourselves be seem aren't there, LED lighting is always useful and generally inexpensive and efficient, direct replacement for "common" fittings....along with LED light strips for even more visibility. You may wish to consider a 35watt ( I have 6000k via eBay) HID H4 car kit to replace your headlamps, more effective, less heat and power consumption, freeing up some valuable alternator output for more devices.
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Thanks for posting the time delay relay. I can use a few on those in different projects. As for the light that you used, I have been installing that bulb in a few of the elevators that use 12 volt to light them. They replace a 20 watt halogen. Make them more brighter and lots more light in them. Have not thought about using them on the motorcycle.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Are these strobe lights? Where did you mount them and which Walmart lights did you get?

Scott

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Looks nice, that'll get their attention. Thanks for the pics, that's something that I've got to learn to do. Got a lot of stuff to sell on ebay and the picture thing is holding me back.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.