Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys, i've waited for too long but im finally going to purchase a new alternator for my 99 aspencade. i was looking at ebay and there seem to be a lot of options.

i was looking at the range of $130, but i am not sure if they are actually all the same brand or if each seller has their own brand, they dont actually advertise any brand just the part number they replace.

can you help me?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I and quite a few others have had luck with the Lactrical "brand" units sold on Amazon. I'm not sure that the Lactrical "brand" amounts to much more than a Lactrical sticker stuck on a Chinese alternator, like virtually all the others you are looking at. But, they seem to stand behind their products, as they did for me, and a couple of other guys I've read about on the forums. I used the 85 amp version. They sell a 90 or 95 amp version as well. Be sure you are buying it FROM Lactrical, as there are apparently others selling under that brand name that are not necessarily the same, nor warranted the same. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EBCFSC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1VKPCUL86V2OF&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/LActrical-ALTERNATOR-GOLDWING-ASPENCADE-INTERSTATE/dp/B008KSIOHU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501819981&sr=8-1&keywords=lactrical+GL1500+alternator

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
There were a few members recently posting they had a rebuilt spare 1500 alternator for sale

Have you looked in our classifieds?

You can post a wtb want to buy ad there and someone will hook you up.
The extra amps of a 90amp rebuild come in handy for riding with heated gear, or you do parades or other slow moving cooling fans and extra lights intensive power draw.

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
My friend just installed one of those 90-amp alternators on his 1997 GL1500 SE in July 2017.

Just a tip, the wire harness (with white connector) on the alternator which is the "exciter wire" is long and needs to be connected behind the left inner fairing panel.

Rather than removing the left fairing inner panel to access the bikes "exciter wire" connector, he just removed the white connector from the alternator wire and connected the wire to the "exciter wire" from the bikes harness. If you do this, I would recommend solder the wire connection and use shrink wrap for a good solid/tight connection.

Would have been nice if Honda had placed that "exciter wire" connector closer to the alternator eliminating the need to remove the fairing left inner panel to access the connector.

Sometimes "plug and play" is not quite as easy as other times............!! (Little unknown tid-bits they don't always tell you about aftermarket products)

Special Note: The bikes "exciter wire" has a connector on the end that plugs into the OEM alternator. I would recommend leaving that connector in place in case you (or anyone else) ever decides to go back to an OEM alternator. I like keeping things original......!

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
They placed it where it was easiest and fastest to install on a rolling assembly line, owner maintenance not even a concern in design

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Not necessarily, I think sometimes they design things to be a little more difficult to work on to discourage "owner maintenance" in an effort to increase work for the dealerships.

How about the # 12 ignition relay fuse for the (1988 - 1992) or the # 12 head relay fuse for the (1993 - 2000) being located in the relay box rather than on the fuse panel where it is easy to access.

Getting too far off thread, I'll stop now...........!!

They placed it where it was easiest and fastest to install on a rolling assembly line, owner maintenance not even a concern in design

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I've been running one of the $104 chinese alternators for several years with no problems. I even bought another one to carry as a spare on the road. May not work for some, but it works fine for me.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've purchased one from DB Electrical, they had quite a lot of sales and great reputation on ebay so i guess it was the best choice i could have done

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would go with number 2, because they seem more of a business. Number 3 if you look there buying whole sale and shipping from all over. Number 2 also has a WHO WE ARE, this actually tells you they have been around. I looked again, Yep it DB electrical. So that would be who i bought from. Good Luck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Oh by the way Walmart sells these now! I just seen it on there site. I was actually getting a car battery for my son and somehow ended up with a GL1500 alternator on my screen. Doubt the quality is really good but with a extended warranty it might make it a option.

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
Oh by the way Walmart sells these now! I just seen it on there site. I was actually getting a car battery for my son and somehow ended up with a GL1500 alternator on my screen. Doubt the quality is really good but with a extended warranty it might make it a option.
$104.50

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alternator-Honda-GL1500-GL1500A-GL1500I-GL1500SE-Gold-Wing-Aspencade-Interstate-Motorcycle/155164461

sure enough, I would never have guessed Wal-mart for handling motorcycle parts.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Walmart online has become a clearing house for all types of products, its not just walmart store items.
You have to look close to see who is the actual provider of an item selling thru them.
Its like amazon, have to look closely for the From Who and Where an item really is.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That alternator does not specify the AMP rating anywhere in the listing, so I would assume it is a standard 40A OEM spec unit. That is not what William was looking at (90A).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.