Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My malfunction starts with the turn signal indicators simultaniously staying on. At that point the cruise wont set, the rear markers go out, the signals dont blink and reverse is out of the question. However if I hold the clutch in the markers and signals function properly until the clutch is released. Now that the bike is stripped down the intermittent problem is gone for now except for the reverse issue!??????????

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I added a test ground to the frame as well as addind a jumper to the engine and the problem persisted! After cooling off in the test process all the issues stopped except the reverse. There is a buzzing relay and it clips right out like its on the limit switch. No solution found in the Clymers manual

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

These could be common at a few points - I'd recommend looking at the ground on the right side of the frame just up and forward from where the cruise cables fasten to teh block.

How is your side-stand switch working? (lighting the lamp when down, killing the engine when put into gear and stand down, allowing start when up and in gear with clutch depressed?)

Similarly, is your Neutral lamp working as anticipated? (lighting always and only when in Neutral?)

Was any work recently done to the right rear side of the bike (like a tire swap, exhaust, etc...?)? You may wanna check conections at the reverse Diode assembly (red conector, connects to a box on right rear frame area behind the BAS, under the trunk area.

Some additional info on the Buzziin relay (like where, which, when is buzzes, etc) could also be most helpful.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Today every gremlin is sleeping soundly!I plan to clean all the connections, checking for corrosion and bad wires, thoroughly and swab them with dielectric grease. The side stand switch is working properly and the neutral light.The floating ground came to mind for sure. I did recently move the exhaust to do breaks and tires. The buzzing is associated with the reverse. It comes from a small relay behind the gas tank. If it's buzzing reverse clips right out!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hey everybody it's fixed YEA!!! There are three large plugs holding like 24 wires each. one plug carries a large amount of power to the back of the bike and one of the contacts. I picked the molten plastic out of the plug cleaned it and put a jumper around the socket. I cleaned every connection i came across and swabbed it with electrolytic grease, All is well now!!! Hope this helps someone else and thanks to the guys that replied to my problem.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

i have a problem with no reverse, fuel or temp. gauges, overdrive light (goes into overdrive), & gauge lights. i'm assuming the reverse relay is out but not sure where it is (under seat right side by battery?). i had this problem a year or so ago and the shop fixed it by replacing relay. sound right?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I don't know what year or size your bike is but mine is a 00 1500SE. It's more complex than some cars. I recomend that you check the large plugs and inspect for discoloration as this leads to power drops or no power to vrious systems. The glitches that come from one everheating wire would blow your mind!

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Bubbar Welcome to the forum. Do post in the new member area soon. You will not go wrong cleaning all the connections in the wire system. The diaelectric grease is a good idea to follow, and clean all grounds... Most probems with electrical issues is no,corroded,broken grounds. A wire dia for your year will also help. keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Hey everybody it's fixed YEA!!! There are three large plugs holding like 24 wires each. one plug carries a large amount of power to the back of the bike and one of the contacts. I picked the molten plastic out of the plug cleaned it and put a jumper around the socket. I cleaned every connection i came across and swabbed it with electrolytic grease, All is well now!!! Hope this helps someone else and thanks to the guys that replied to my problem.
Do you have any pictures of those plugs and where are they located?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
There are three large plugs under the seat.......

1. 22-pin with 12 wires. Powers the parking diode, turn signal relay, hazard relay and all lights (running, brake and turn) on the rear of the bike. SE = Blue, Aspencade = White, Interstate = Yellow. (Left rear side under the seat)

2. 22-pin (red) with 22 wires. Powers the reverse control unit, reverse diode assembly and bank angle sensor. (Right rear under the seat)

3. 22-pin (black) with 17 wires. Powers the auto cruise control unit and the bank angle sensor. (Center rear under the seat)

The C10 connector (item # 1 above) is the most common one to cause issues.

Do you have any pictures of those plugs and where are they located?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
The # 3 tail main relay (in the relay box) provides voltage to the items you mentioned plus a few more things.

i have a problem with no reverse, fuel or temp. gauges, overdrive light (goes into overdrive), & gauge lights. i'm assuming the reverse relay is out but not sure where it is (under seat right side by battery?). i had this problem a year or so ago and the shop fixed it by replacing relay. sound right?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
I knew it was an "old post" but Bluesman614 asked about the connectors recently (07/10/14). I thought he might like a response.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.