Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 1500 GL. Washed it yesterday and now I have an array of electrical issues. It starts and runs fine but when I shut it off all of the dash lights stay on until I press the starter switch. I have no turn signals, marker lights, or brake lights. I DO have headlight and radio. I have no clue where to start with this. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ryan

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Let it sit in the sun with everything open.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I would pull the fuses and relays check for water and check fuses. On a side note I would loosen the screws for the controls on the right side you may have water in there and let it all dry out.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, well it has set in the sun for two days, I've checked what fuses and relays I know to check and I've loosened the screws on the controls with no result.

It will still start and run and will have full lights but the slightest pull on the clutch lever loses turn signals, brake and marker light. When I turn it off and take the key out the dash lights stay on unless I push the starter switch and there is a soft "hum" coming from somewhere, sounds like lower in the bike. If I put it in reverse it will make one brief move backwards and that's all. Any chance this is related to the back up lever or something like that?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
That doesn't sound like fun at all -- You may wanna look for a grounding issue -- there's a cluster of suspects, but have a look at the two larger grounds above the dipstick (one you can see with the inner-fairing installed, and the other that's just above that), and there's a few grounds in orange connectors that could use a look ... good description posted by Alex B http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...orum/384168-gl1500-common-ground-gremlin.html (especially, if your hum sounds like it's coming from behind the front edge of the left saddlebag).

As you remove the inner fairings, take the time to un-mate & re-mate each of the connectors above the fans. All of those do tend to get a little cruddy with corrosion over time due to the amount of road grime, water, and temperature changes they go though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.