Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok guys this is on a 1995 model. With the ignition switch on there are no headlights, taillights, radio but the neutral switch light is on and when the starter switch is pushed it does start up and then all the lights come on plus radio. Now it seems that there is a light flickering of the lights while setting still but I don't know if it does it while moving. I have checked on all the electrical connectors and everything is clean and tight.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Did you check the ignition switch properly? Another possible area is the main wire from the ignition to the connector on top of the left radiator fan. The connection is partly exposed and can corrode and cause problems like you describe.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I did check the ignition switch but not the connector on the left side but I will. Thanks Dave

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Kinda sounds like a weakened battery or the 55A dogbone fuse on it's way out.

The items you mention as being "out" and then returing after start are on the alternator's side of the 55A dogbone. If that fuse was offering high-reistance, items on "that side" of the fuse wouldn't see full power until the alternator was spinning and supplying them (would also address the flicker).

Check the dogbone, and the connections/splices in the large white wire behind the dogbone. You may also wanna measure the voltage at your battery before and after starting.

:blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Satan I will be checking out the 55A dogbone fuse along with the items mention by Dave. The battery is new but will do an amp draw on it. I do appreciate all the advise.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The 55A was blown. The radio will play with little volume control and the cassette will not operator. I ran the CB through the speakers and it was fine and everything else came back up as normal. Now I need to find a person that does radio repair so if anyone knows of a company please let me know. Thanks again Satan and Heffo.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Nope...

Only one fuse more...

Look at the bottm of the RELAY box kinda hides behind the left saddlbag)...

There's a 5A fuse there (labeled as "BACKUP) -- Power from this fuse runs the final amps in the radio and the tape eject mechanism on the newer 1500 radios (older radios had a mechanical only eject). You'll find that your radio presets are lost and the closck is also not holding time...

Just replace that BACKUP 5A fuse and you should be good to go...

(common problem when there's enouh of a short to blow the 55A dogbone)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Satan, we owe you big time that was the problem and now everything is back to norm. We found out that a commercial type battery charge with a 75 amp lead in had been used when the bike was in the paint and body. Once again Thank You :applause:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

On the contrary I owe you big time...

... Not only for following-up here so that others can resolve their issues,

... but, also for your service for our nation, and reliability/stability as a husband.

Make sure all the panels and that saddlebag are back on tight, and ride safely

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.