Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi,

I just bought my first GL1500 (1989) and I find that the rear end of the engine guards (hoop type) interfere with my feet between cruising and getting on the shifter or the foot brake.

I was going to cut the top bar off at the front of the head and at the bottom just before the rear mount and cap them but discovered that there are some factory guards that only protect the front of the engine and the bottom of the heads. This style would not interfere at all and allow me to show off the engine better as well. Downside would be that my Markland cruise boards would have to go.

Any pros/cons for this type of guard?

I found one source for a pair for the 1998 model but don't know if they would fit my 1989 without modification. Also I don't know the best place to get them.

Any advice appreciated.

--
Rudy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, Rudy!:waving::waving:

I find myself wondering if your crashguards are bent or something. Never heard of anyone having problems with them as far as the brake and shifter.On my '93 the aft ends of the guards are bent outward so they don't really come near my feet. The outward bend does make it pretty wide to put highway pegs on. I would guess the problem might be caused by floorboards, there's plenty of room with normal rider's pegs. I never did like floorboards, I just today came home from a 3300 mile ride and still prefer the standard pegs, especially when the road gets a bit twisty!

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Rudy. You might be better off getting a set of engine guards from one of the later (1998-2000) models. They didn't have the hoop and they will fit all GL1500 models. I know a boot size 13 guy that did this and it worked great.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks for the kind greeting.

The hoop bars are stock but due to my particular physical attributes, I can not ride with my feet pointing forward, inside of the guards for very long (football knees). So I must constantly go back and forth from the outside of the bars to the inside when shifting or braking. This delay in the ability to get on these controls constitutes a hazard in the time it takes to perform these tasks. I can also mean that I may hit the edge of the bar when trying to get off the boards to put my feet down at a stop which normally is something you want to do in a coordinated and timely way. I even extended my front toe side of the shifter outwards by an inch and a quarter to try to overcome this problem as it is, I basically have to stand on the boards enough to scoot back up on top of the drivers backrest to get enough room to bring my feet in and up on the shifter or brake. This situation does not allow for access to pedals on both sides simultaneously.

I have the stock Honda seat and if it could be modified to be farther back about an inch and a half at the lower back rest I think that would help as well. Problem is then I'd need pullbacks on the bars. I guess the REAL problem for me is that Cyls 3 and 6 are where the pedals and my feet should be and everything else would be an adaptation since I wont be getting rid of those cylinders any time too soon :). It doesn't help that I have not yet adapted to cruise boards instead of pegs. The boards seem to require that the pedals are higher than ther would have been on pegs. I just hate to go that way if I don't have to and the bars would still be a problem.

I have read where several ppl have gone back to the 1200's just to get back to the 4 cylinder engines to solve this problem. So the smaller bars on the later models seems to be the way for now. Now... where to find them reasonably priced...none on eBay right now.

Thanks
--
Rudy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Rudy, sounds like 03Silver has the best solution, might need to haunt eBay for a set of the later model bars. I don't think going to a 1200 would be a solution, there's a lot less toe room for the standard shifter on the 1200, I had to be careful of the shoes I wore when I rode mine, some of them didn't fit the space, especially when upshifting.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

exavid,
I think you are right. I had a GL1000 and loved it but I can never leave this big 6.

You are from my part of the country...mother and sister in Lacey, father in Kalama, brother and motherinlaw in Vancouver WA and another brother in Omak... sure is good to be in the south :goofygrin:.

eBay it is then.
Thanks
--
Rudy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.