Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I recently did the 4/5 gear fix on my bike and just got the motor running again and it sound like a Johnny Popper at idle. I have most of the fairing off so I was wondering if they are this loud without all the plastic or do I have an issue? The motor seems to run fine. Any insight would be great. I never ran the motor with the fairing off before I pulled the motor.

Thanks

Mike:praying:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
... sound like a Johnny Popper at idle. I have most of the fairing off...
Ummmmm, What's a Johnny Popper and what does he/she/it sound like? :)

We/I need a better frame of reference.

Thanks,

Tim.

·
It aint rocket science
3,968 Posts
Ummmmm, What's a Johnny Popper and what does he/she/it sound like? :)Tim.
+1

A 1500 is quiet as a mouse. Is this a tapping, rap, clicking noise. And it is only at idle, quiet as RPM's increase, AIR hose to air box? The noise is in the engine or an external part?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Tim,
A Johnny Popper is an old John Deere 2 cylinder tractor that makes a POP POP sound on each exhaust stroke. This sound is coming from the engine sounds like through the carbs/intakes? The noise goes away as the engine speed increases. and like I said it seems to run just fine. Not noise like a lifter tapping definitely. I am running the engine with the air box open in the garage. I have all the hoses connected. I'll put the filter back in and close it up and see. Thanks

Mike

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
You may just be hearing the reed valves for the PAIR...their large common chambers do not seem to do much for reducing their sound -- since that air is filtered - the pop-pop can seem to come from the airbox (pull the airbox lid to see if you can figure which ho;e the noises are coming from -- carbs, or other..)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Satan,
That is what I was thinking it was. It makes sense because it is definitely related to the intakes. I was just curious if the sound was "normal" and I think you have answered that for me.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello All

Just like SATAn said it was the pair valve en the right side. In all my exuberance I didn't get one of the hose installed correctly. as soon as i fixed that quieted down to normal. No more dreadful POP POP like an old tractor or heaven forbid that you could have confused it with a H-D.

:toast:

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.