Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Biker for life
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, I have acquired a 1500 motor for next to no money. this motor was pulled & replacedbecause it had lost gears 2,3,4,....... now, usable complete motors over here in the UK sell for £1500 ($2,500.00) so with that in mind I have decided to rebuild this one & either swap with mine or keep as a spare.... the motor has been dry stored for a number of years (but did have clear water in the clutch housing when I removed it) so, a couple of questions for you guys...

I want to keep costs down as much as possible......

1 anyone have any replacement clutch (complete) recommendations = stock, Barnett, Ebay, or any others ?

2 any ideas on cause of gearbox failure, only gears 1 + 5 were usable ?

3 is there a way to decode the motors engine number ?

as this build progresses Im sure I will have other questions....

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I've seen good GL1500 engines for sale in the UK for around £750. You could easily spend almost that on parts to rebuild your own engine.
If the engine you got is from a 1993-94 model, 4th gear failure was a common issue and Honda supplied a parts kit. Bobby Newhouse's article here should be of some help..
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500gearsfix.htm

·
Biker for life
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Jason, I was told this one was from a 91 model, which is why I want to "decode" the engine number,thanks for the link its useful info..........

ps there are a couple of engines on Ebay at the moment at £1.5 k ......... this is only a "pet project" for me....... I havent rebuilt a motor in about 20 years & the last one wae a 302ci V8.......... & you never know what problems you might inherit buying a 2nd hand engine...... once again thanks for the info.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Those engines on ebay are used and usually of questionable or at least nonverifiable condition. If I buy a good running motor but cannot hear it run, I will rebuild it before I go through the work of installing it.

·
Biker for life
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
Those engines on ebay are used and usually of questionable or at least nonverifiable condition. If I buy a good running motor but cannot hear it run, I will rebuild it before I go through the work of installing it.
spot on Mike............. thats my plan..... :claps:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.