Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI FOLKS:
About to re-engine my '95 GL1500 with '96 engine. Seeking advice to avoid pitfalls. How difficult is exhaust system removal? Any other specific things I should be aware of; any Tips? THANKS in advance for any & all inputs! TTFN. .....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH :waving:

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
When I did my engine I didn't remove the exhaust just the exhaust headers And it is simple to do. Do yourself a favor and take a lot of pictures you just may have to go back and look I know I did a few times.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
He is right about the pictures as many as you feel comfortable with you can always delete them later. Another cute trick my father taught me was a large piece of cardboard tape the bolts and screws to it then with a indelable pen write what they are or where they came from. It makes it easier to get them all back on without ending up with extras.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I used sandwich bags and labeled them.I would also change the belts and thermostat with the engine out of the bike I would also change the water pump gaskets and change out the vacuum hoses and water lines while the engine is out of the bike. Then you should be good for another ten years or so.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I changed the engines for a friend a few yrs. ago and it was pretty straight forward as long as you label everything. The only warning I can offer is when you install the starter make sure the starter and reverse gear are meshed. If you cannot insert the starter completely in, do not tighten the bolts. You will break the reverse gear and the engine will need to be pulled and the rear disassembled to repair. I know this for a fact. Good luck

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
THANKS ALL SO MUCH: Having been USAF jet mechanic [over half-century ago] was planning change of all: o-rings, hoses, filters, thermostat & belts on 'new' '96 engine, before it goes into frame & check of clutch, also.
Guess I made out very well, as following came on it: clutch, water pump, carbs, starter, alternator. Will pop in again, if the unexpected arises. TTFN .....old papasmurf in NH
P.S. Have large quantity of plastic bottles; lots of large storage tubs w/lids. Will utilize them, properly labeled, as I remove hardware.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.