Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 2000SE has developed an odd "Stumbling", when cruising 65mph, causing the engine to throttle back very slightly.

It only occurs when:
-A Headwind is encountered, or
-Going Down hill.

I don't think it's a Fuel Supply Issue (eg Bad fuel pump) as I can:
-Negate the effect by immediately giving More Throttle, to compensate.
-Avoiding the problem by cruising at a higher speed (>70 mph), or lower speed (<60mph)

It never occurs when going Uphill... This might suggest Driveline Slack, as the line would definately be under load (and not alternating between load & non-load) in this situation.

Any ideas?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

If you suspect the problem is in the drive line Alex, the first and probably easiest thing to examine is the universal joint.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

When my final drive splines were wearing out I would get that kind of a feling once in a while...

It got so bad that eventually it woud kcik out the cruise control when I hit a bump...

Found a ZERO mile trike take off final drive and a 9000 mile star gear to mate with it and now it is all wonderful again...

It would be worth a look....?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Both Universal Joint and Splines are OK, and checked just 4k miles ago.

"OK" meaning no obvious visual wear.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

I kinda knew that would be your answer....:?

You are typically on top of the maintenance on your bike(s).

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Update: The Stumbling/Vibration problem has Gone Away!... and I don't know why. Put 300 miles on it this week, and not a trace of the former issue.

I had the bike parked for past 3wks, and did routine tune-up on it... Somehow I fixed the problem, and am wondering what the cause was. If it was Tune-up or Fuel-supply related, then it may be the case that a Rough Running Engine can cause Vibration that otherwise can be mis-diagnosed as a bad driveline (eg U-joint)

Work done:
-New spark plugs
-New fuel filter
-New sub-carb air filter
-Cleaned and oiled K&N air filter (It was very dirty)
-Removed the Fuel Petcock (permanently)
-Oil and filter change
-Removed and re-installed compufire alternator (no change to rubber dampeners, or position of them)
-Applied a shot of teflon lubricant to both slides in the carb, in case they were sticking

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

Curious....

It must've been ONE of those things...

The alternator seating perhaps..?

Or a gentle "miss" from the plugs, tune up items, etc...?

Bad gas in the old fuel filter..?

Aside: I will be interested in the overall performance of the bike over time WITHOUT to vacuum petcock....

Just wondering if it creates any unexpected issues....:waiting:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.