Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 goldwing and would like to know what year models will inter change. I have an internal engine problem but have located a 94 & an 88. Anyone able to help me. I talked to a Honda service man and he wasn't sure.He has been with Honda for over 20 years. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Someone else asked this in another thread a few days ago, you should find it easy enough. Either of those engines should work for you, but to be sure yourself find that other thread or wait until one of the gurus comes along.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
All years will fit, but the plumbing will be different in later years, so try to get the carbs and all the vacuum lines in tact and hooked up to save some headaches later. You can modify the plumbing and eliminate some if yours is not all smog equipped and later is.
Just remember that the 97 and up have the heavy duty Vaulkrie transmission which will last longer.
There are posts on putting later motors in the early 1500. I can't do the search on my phone, sorry.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
All years will fit, but the plumbing will be different in later years, so try to get the carbs and all the vacuum lines in tact and hooked up to save some headaches later. You can modify the plumbing and eliminate some if yours is not all smog equipped and later is.
Just remember that the 97 and up have the heavy duty Vaulkrie transmission which will last longer.
There are posts on putting later motors in the early 1500. I can't do the search on my phone, sorry.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
The 88 would most likely be the easiest swap I think. Less likely to have much differences with only 1 year apart.
There were a few minor things like throttle cables that were 88 only, 89 only, then 90 and above. I don't know if much else was changed like that.

Vacuum lines and such may be a closer match 88-89 than 89-94 would be.
I think 88 is less likely to have the dreaded 4th gear issue, 94 may have it already or soon or never, so a gamble there.
89 has a reverse also I think, 88 will have it also, if 94 make sure you get reverse of course since Interstate models did not have reverse.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone that responded to my question on engine swap.That eases my mind a lot.The engines I've been watching have the carbs on them along with all the air hoses.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
You should get the ECU that came off the same bike as your new motor did.

Ride Safe,
Rich

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
You should get the ECU that came off the same bike as your new motor did.

Ride Safe,
Rich
Man… you guys are really digging up the old(er) stuff tonight. Hahahaha

When I replaced my 91 engine with the 97 engine I used my 91 ECU without problems.

:waving:

Tim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.