Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello. my friend just brought his 1500 for an oil change and told me to check why the exhaust would sound different.. so i layed down on the ground and noticed the center part of the exhaust system is broken where it connects to the tail pipe.

so we have really good muflers shop that will be able to repair this. the question is.
since im new to the 1500s how hard is to get this center part of the exhaust out?. what would be the best way to fix this? ill take the tail pipe out and see if they could weld it with that thing in place. but i highly doubt it and if they can, it wouldn't be as good as if they do it outsite.

thanks. attack picture: is just the right side.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi willian 86 your collector box is gone best to replace it the far side wont be long after, you will need to strip the hole exhaust off thats from the hedders down as you cant get the new one in unless you do this because of the angle the hedders go into it

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Looking at the photo I think you're going to need a new collector box.You will need to remove the exhaust covers and the silencers to get at this.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

well... yes seems pretty damaged by rust. might be dangerous just to try to get it out. we're planning a trip.. around 400 km round trip. do you think running the bike like this may damage the bike? our this is this weekend.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

you would be ok for the trip but put some epoxy putty around it to stop the fumes going up to the passanger when stoped in traffic ect and it should also hold it in place for now

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Watch eBay every day. People are breaking up 1500s all the time. I got an ENTIRE exhaust system from the engine to the tips DELIVERED for$85.00 !!

That was an extreme score, but the stuff is out there - just save the GL1500 search, and check whenever you think of it.

Good Luck, Man. :)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Start looking for an exhaustcollector on ebay. I would say make it into a true dual exhaust, but since there are no true exhaust performance parts, I would keep it stock and price is not too bad on ebay.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
Start looking for an exhaustcollector on ebay. I would say make it into a true dual exhaust, but since there are no true exhaust performance parts, I would keep it stock and price is not too bad on ebay.
Intriguing! What is the purpose of the collector box and what would be the negative effect of true duals?

Has anyone done this?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Pretty sure the collector just evens out the back pressure to every cylinder. This is the best way to protect exhaust valves from burning.

Dual exhaust will protect your valves fine if they are good quality & installed properly so they dont leak.

Lots of wings out there that are running Harley pipes because they are cheaper. This is fine as well, just a little louder than stock.

You could fab up the whole exhaust from the headers back if you know a good exhaust welder!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

hatchetman, i've only seen 1000 and 1100 wings running harley pipes. can you point me to a 1500 ?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

The cross over tube is for...I do not know.

I will speculate on balance of pressure pulsations and/or sound attenuation.

The exhaust is like a header and on the 1500, they are long. I would think short ones opened may have an affect on valve, but not here.

I amsurprised no one runs open headers, ha. Probably would sound pretty embarrassing compared to a Harley.

Keep it stock or get a Harley. :shock:

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
The cross over tube is for...I do not know.

I will speculate on balance of pressure pulsations and/or sound attenuation.

The exhaust is like a header and on the 1500, they are long. I would think short ones opened may have an affect on valve, but not here.

I amsurprised no one runs open headers, ha. Probably would sound pretty embarrassing compared to a Harley.

Keep it stock or get a Harley. :shock:
I wasn't looking for louder as I already have the Jardines on mybike, which are actually very annoying on the highway.I've been looking for a good set of used stock pipes. I was just thinking of performance improvement.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I run Road Kings ( Harley ) on my bike with a cross over pipe. Last year had Sporsters on but found them too loud so I'm trying the Road Kings this year.

Crossover pipe balances exhaust & aids in scavaging exhaust. Aids in mid range power. If you look at any performance exhaust system they will always incorporate either an x pipe or cross over. The collector does much the same thing.

You have to think of the exhaust gases as a wave that travels through the length of the exhaust system. Any changes you make, affect this wave & correspondingly can affect performance.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

thanks, the muffler shop fixed it with no problems, there was no hesitation from the guys about fixing it, they did it in 15 mins and charged 100 mx pesos = 7 us bucks . the bike is back to normal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.