Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My exhaust is rusting out on my 1990, GL-1500.

I have 2 holes about the size of a quarter.

Any ideas for a cheap temporary fix until I can find and afford some replacement pipes? I really don't want to replace them any time real soon as I just got the triple tips tack welded on.

I was thinking about cutting up a tin can and securing it with some big hose clamps? Maybe put some of that exhaust wrap in between? Where do I buy that stuff? Auto parts store?

Thx,

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I've tried MANY ways of trying to stop leaks on cars exhausts including all kinds of pastes but I've never found any work for more than a couple days. Take them off and get them welded. Well worth your time and effort, doing it right the first time.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

JB Weld will work to hold a patch if you prep around the hole properly. Temp. range up to 600*. All of the products made for muffler patching I have used get brittle in a few days.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Welding a "patch" is the only way to fix the stock muffler on the GL1000 I have done it and it lasts a long time. At least YOU can buy new still.

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yeah good idea guys. I think I'll just remove the mufflers (which I've done before) and take them to a shop that can cut some sheet metal strips and weld to the bottoms. That should last quite awhile I would think. It won't be pretty but I'm all for function over form. Thx.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.