Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1991 GL1500 mufflers need replacement. I'm contemplating the option of a modified muffler, but not too sure what the risks are. If they are opened up a little to go for a bigger sound are there any traps to avoid? Is there a power gain? Is there a danger of a droning sound?I don't mind a little more noise, but don't want to the whole heighborhood to know when I'm coming and going! I want to stick with the same external dimensions so the mufflers still look orginal but wondered about a tripple pipe outlet from each muffler. Does this work? Any advice, recommendations, design suggestions etc would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The gl1500 can be run on exhausts with no baffles, slash-cuts etc with no loss in performance or erratic idling. The 1500 is probably the only Wing that you can get away with this, down to the two-carb setup I'd say. The only difference will be in noise and possibly some extra vibration if you use straight-thru pipes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Peter A wrote:
My 1991 GL1500 mufflers need replacement. I'm contemplating the option of a modified muffler, but not too sure what the risks are. If they are opened up a little to go for a bigger sound are there any traps to avoid? Is there a power gain? Is there a danger of a droning sound?I don't mind a little more noise, but don't want to the whole heighborhood to know when I'm coming and going! I want to stick with the same external dimensions so the mufflers still look orginal but wondered about a tripple pipe outlet from each muffler. Does this work? Any advice, recommendations, design suggestions etc would be appreciated.
Since your current pipes are going, try pulling the baffles and see how much noise it makes. A triple outlet pipe on the end of the muffler isn't going to make much difference in sound since it's on the output end of the muffler. I believe Jason is right that it won't make much difference in the carb tuning, most of the aftermarket muffler manufacturers agree with that on the 1500.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

My 89 needed new pipes 3 years ago, I went with Cobra Slash Cuts, (good looking pipes I must say). Running around town the sound was nice, not too loud but but it was different from all the other 'Wings around here. But listening to the drone day after day while on tours around the country gets awfully anoying after awhile. So I have now gone back to the stock pipes. Quiet is good for me, I can hear my music much clearer now.

As for perfomance and or fuel economy, nothing changed with either set of pipes.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The gl1500 is a very forgiving bike when you use different exhausts. Youcan get away with a lot without any noticeable effect.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine modified his pipes on a '99 Valk with its similar 1500cc engine. He wanted just a little bit more sound than the stock pipes gave him. He got it.

But the drone of it now drives him nuts. He wears earplugs under his helmet and is looking for "factory" pipes (cheap) to go back to. Its a personal taste thing. I don't mind having to look at my Tach to see if the engine is on ;) !

Mike C
'99 Aspencade
Candy Spectra Red

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have the option to buy a pair of Cobra Turndowns part No 1204. Can any one tell me how happy or otherwise they are with these?Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.