Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello wingershow do you know when your mufflers are goingbad i have noticed when i let off the throttle at low speeds i get a small poping noise out the exaust.:?

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Unless you have exhaust leaks the problem is not the mufflers. You probably have a bad vacuum hose on the carbs.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The bike runs great so if i had a bad vaccum hose wound't it run bad.I guess ineed to check for leaks in the exaust thanks.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

coolgto67 wrote:
The bike runs great so if i had a bad vaccum hose wound't it run bad.I guess ineed to check for leaks in the exaust thanks.
Not necessarily, if a vacuum hose has deteriorated and collapsed cutting off vacuum to certain components it could cause your symptoms without affecting performance.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

That describes what i had. SEAFOAM fixed it. One carb wasn't closing all the way> Ran great ,,idled great , but was popping when i let off the throttle all the way.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

As descibed , a popping sound from the exhaust usually means fuel is accumulating in the exhaust system .
Check for rich condition in carbs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Does that mean i need to have the carbs cleaned and sync or is it just a minor adj.

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

carbs being out of balance can cause popping on the over run, but boy do they have to be a long way out, 2 complete turns on the screw.

Nick

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

If they were out of balance that bad the bike would be running bad and it is not a freind of mine at work used to run a gas station saida bad tank of gas that hadwater in itcould cause that he got some in his bike and it did the same thing don't know if that's true or not.The bike realy runs finerevs good idles goodmaybe after i run a another tank of good gas it will go away.

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

The bike I refer to was running well, ticking over fine, only popping out of the exhaust, balanced the carbs being miles out, and job done

Nick

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

coolgto67 wrote:
...i have noticed when i let off the throttle at low speeds i get a small poping noise out the exaust.
> An exhaust leak will also cause that condition... Verify that the chrome nuts (that attach the exhaust headers to the engine) are tight.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Check the vacuum line on the left side just above the valve cover. I had the same problem and it tured out to be this vacuum hose had come off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.