Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Goldwing that I'm fixxing to paint , How do I remove the Windshield and Main Fairing , Have removed everything else and dont want to break anything . Thanks M Jones

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
The windshield is straight forward. There is one phillips screw each side of the chrome trim. They are located behind each mirror and you can get at them by folding the mirror towards the rear of the bike. Once these 2 screws are out the chrome front panel can be lifted away off it's mounting tabs. You will then see the 5 windshield mounting adjusters. Just undo these and the screen can be lifted away.

I've never had my main fairing off so afraid I can't help with that.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I painted the part that went around the CB. Had a few scratches bought time I got it back together. to fix it I took off as much of the chrome and taped it off and repainted....shoulda did that in the first place. I could only imagine it would be hard to re-assemble a whole fairing with a fresh paint job.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Windshield removal tutorial here. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500windshieldremoval.htm

Once you have that off, take the radio console off, then the dash instruments panel. Then the lower fairing panels and the shelter side panels. At that stage you should be able to see the fairing bolts. The wiring harness is surprisingly easy to pull out of the fairing, and then you can unbolt the fairing and pull it away.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Just a note: Those screws that hold the windscreen on are a BIATCH sometimes. I would suggest spraying a bit of lube on those the day before I was gonna remove everything,( WD-40, PB Blaster, etc.). I stripped one of the Phillips heads trying to loosen them. Those "Grabber" things for broken screws really work well! One was so bad, I had to leave it broken off. The rest finally came out. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
When I replaced my windshield I found those screws really hard to get broken loose. I was afraid I would strip out the heads but I was able to get a pair of vice grips on the head and break them loose that way.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I've had the best luck removing those stubborn windshield fasteners with a lge phillips 3/8 bit and 3/8 breaker bar. Install the bit in the screw head, tap it lightly to seat and help break bond, install breaker, turn while keeping inward pressure on bit.

1500 fairing removal is a pretty big job. It's not that hard but just alot of fasteners, couplers and details. It's time consuming. Compared to the 1800, the 1500 takes me approx. twice as long to remove and replace...and I've had both types off several times.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Painted mine off the bike when i got it. But if i did it again i would leave it on the bike to do it again. its a pain to remove and to put back on without scatching something. on the bike with it stripped down its easyer to sand prep and paint..

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have a 1993 Goldwing that I'm fixxing to paint , How do I remove the Windshield and Main Fairing , Have removed everything else and dont want to break anything . Thanks M Jones
Did you get the fairing off? There are bolts inside the fairing to remove it from the mounting bracket.

You need to reply a post here to finish your question posting.
Common curtousy not to leave it hanging without a reply back.

·
Registered
Gl1500 1992
39 Posts
hi guys, this is the last piece i need to take off mine (1990 1500gl), the whole bike is having a respray, not practical to leave on and spray (paint sprayer lives miles away! okay, this is where i am, main 4 bolts on the front have been loosened but still in place, left and right side small nut and bolt removed, gauges are still in place and no movement on the front fairing so guess there are more retaining bolts around the gauges!(behind, hidden etc)bit stuck now and can`t see a "how to" in the manual, any suggestion gratefully received!:bow:

·
killer driller
781 Posts
you may find some help if someone happens to read this old of a post but it would be best if you start your own thread, a lot of time the guys will skip a two year old thread

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
hi guys, this is the last piece i need to light tof mine (1990 1500gl), the whole bike is having a respray, not practical to leave on and spray (paint sprayer lives miles away! okay, this is where i am, main 4 bolts on the front have been loosened but still in place, left and right side small nut and bolt removed, gauges are still in place and no movement on the front fairing so guess there are more retaining bolts around the gauges!(behind, hidden etc)bit stuck now and can`t see a "how to" in the manual, any suggestion gratefully received!:bow:
Jon is correct, starting a new topic will produce better results than tagging on an old post by someone else.
Yes the gauges have to come out as well as the headlight and turn lights , yes there are hidden bolts and screws. You have to pull all the separate parts off as there are hidden under them so we don't see any fasteners when it's all together.
Did you get the 2 on the bottom front of the faring near the forks? Use a flashlight (torch for you across the pond) and find the hidden bolts. I don't remember all of them. Just have to keep looking and finding the places that are tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.