Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
39270-MZ3-771
FILTER, FUEL PUMP

What can y'all tell me about this part? Is it necessary? Could it be replaced with a regular inline 12V noise suppressor?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-NS12-InLine-Noise-Suppressor/dp/B0007V5X4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373997343&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+noise+filter[/ame]

Mine's shot (aka burned up by PPO)....

:)

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
We'll put it this way.

Early 15's without CB did not have one.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
The filter is to remove the noise from the electric pump motor before it gets too far away from the motor itself.

Typically a 100 microfarad capacitor with a 50volt rating between the power lead and ground will be all that's needed. The idea is to help to attenuate the many voltage pulses that electric motors generate so that the noise doesn't contaminate the 12V supply and/or radiate (transmit) into adjacent wires. The reason that I expanded on the voltage requirement is because the reverse voltage spikes that come from the collapsing magnetic fields of DC motors can really tax a capacitor that's rated much less than 4x the input voltage (Think of the motor winding as an electro-magnet; each time the brushes come to a split in the commutator, the magnetic field will collapse and you get a bunch of reverse voltage, followed immediately by the current drain to recreate the magnetic field on the next winding - it's a noisy place)

That filter that you've linked to from Amazon is intended to be installed in the power leads for a radio or amplifier - designed to clean up the 12V line after it's been contaminated. As such, its componants may kinda "ignore" the potential for the larger reverse voltage spikes and assume that they're being properly filtered at the noise source, or just plain "lost" in the lengths of connecting wire. (generally, these filters will have an inductor in series with your draw and 2 capacitors-to-ground one each on the input and output leads to form a "pi" filter). I should work, but a simple "alternator" type of noise filter would be more compact and cover the spikes that you'll be getting from the fuel pump.

That all said - the linked filter would prolly do the job, but may fail

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good explanation. I will pursue further or just order the thing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.