Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, my Gold Wing parts 'stash' failed me during a wheel/brake upgrade ...:(

I found myself in the parts books looking for (of all things)a "Dust Guard Plate" that I can use between an '89 final drive and a '97 rear wheel. I really thought that I had one in the shop, but somehow no -- all are '89 or older.

By Part-Number only, I see that Honda changed their nut/bolt stuff between '97 and '98 and also there was some change to the dustguard for the 1998 model year ... (the final drive assembly was also changed, but no changes were made for thewheel)

My frantic calling of OEM-Part-Stocking local dealers will begin in a few minutes, and I was wondering if I could just look for a '90 -2000 dust shield and accept whichever of the 2 part numbers (pre/post '98) I can find...

Can anyone offer any insight on what was changed between the '97 and '98 dust shield for the final drive?

Insight? :congrats:Anyone?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

According to Steve, you should be able to swap them.

"They swap straight over with no need for modifications."

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Oh yeah -- that IS the plan -- the old (88-89) to new (90-98)... I was just wondering if it held up past '98 or jsu what was changed.

Kinda one of those things where a 45-minute tire/brake swap turns into a day-long hunt... I'd hate to head back with a '99 shield that won't work on the '97.

Thanks!

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I just returned from the "breaker's yard" where I was able to compare the 'final version' with the two previous versions ...

As posted above (and elsewhere) the '88-'89 dustshield has a reduced diameter opening where the wheel's flange would fit when compared to the rest of the years. '90-through end of production, the wheel-side opening is essentially "flush" with the inner diameter of the shield (where the '88-89 has a 10mm or so "lip" to reduce the ID).

Now, for the important bit about the dustshield change in '98 ... I had 7 dust shields to look at ... and found that the material had changed, and the size of the mounting tab had bee reduced a it ... and that was about it.

"Much Ado About Nothing" at it's best ... For all intents and purposed these dust shields from '90 though the end of production are all interchageable with no ill effect or size issues.

FWIW, I'm reasonably close to Steele's Cycles, which has several wings in parts (1975 on up). They do sell on eBay, but I can alway drop in for a look if there's something specific anyone needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.