Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This is, I hope, a final post for a while as I just completed the maintenance list you seniors provided:bow:I have one remaining question. After the timing belt change and 600 miles there is a very slight change in tone at 2000 rpm that was not there before. It does not whine. It does not squeal. It cranks perfectly. It idles as it did before at a slight variable 650 rpm up and down in tone, neglible on tach. At 1000 rpm it levels out perfectly. With the choke on warming up it idles to perfection of tone. There is no detectable change in performance. At 2000 rpm, in neutral or riding, I can hear what I will attempt to describe as a very dull, weak, little whistle that I don't recall ever hearing before. A bit above 2000 it goes away. I have read a ton of threads on getting the belts too tight and I was very careful. The bike now has 23k miles, the original Honda belts removed were immaculate with every letter and number clearly visible and clean. I used gates replacements and also changed the plugs. I know timing belts have little stretch and do not 'break in' but is there a 'settling in' of components when everything meshes after riding in all temps and situations? In other words, have any of you experienced a very slight change in tone or noises right after a timing belt change due to a slight increase of new belt stiffness? Thanks all.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Whistling is probably the belt pulleys. They might still be okay if as you say you set the tension properly. Possibly they are a bit dry at 13 years old.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Wear the tensioners a rusty brown color when you changed the belts? Did you clean and inspect the tensioners, IE they felt good, no notches and spun freely?
You set the tension with just the spring tension and didn't push them with your finger to add tension?

Did you pull the air cleaner out at that time? Any other things done at that time?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If you have your idle set at 650, that's too low.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Mine does the same noise at the same RPM,it is the alternater charging.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...After the timing belt change...there is a very slight change in tone at 2000 rpm that was not there before... At 2000 rpm, in neutral or riding, I can hear what I will attempt to describe as a very dull, weak, little whistle that I don't recall ever hearing before. A bit above 2000 it goes away...
Could be:
-Timing belt tension too tight (Mine would whine at 3k rpm only).
-Rubber dampeners (between alternator and engine) are worn out.
-Loose hose under air cleaner (the large hose in front right corner).

Also, are you saying that the idle Fluctuates up and down by 650rpm?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again all! The tensioner and pulley looked good/ felt smooth. Yes it is idled a bit low and I am going to wait until I have time for the carb calibrate to raise it as the cable under the fueling hatch was busted. I'll have to go to the carbs. NOT fluctuating 650. Pretty much idled at 650 but slight variation from approx. 630 to 650 probably because it is too low. IT levels out to perfection at about 800. I will check the alternator and hose. I am thinking it may be a vibration. Hey Thanks Monkey for the tip on charging cycle. I'll check that out. I'm sure I am listening more intently as well. Man you guys are great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.