Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I park on the side stand for 2 or 3 days and when I try and start it Icrank it over and over, like there is no spark and then it starts to try and fire on full choke and if I take some choke off it dies

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

#1, I will suggest that it is NOT flooded. It just does not have any fuel in the carbs for the first few seconds.

#2, it is NOT a choke with a butterfly. It is a fuel enrichment jet that increases the fuel mixture while starting.

and.....

For me, I always park it on the center stand.

Also, I always put a battery tender on it so that when I go to start it, the battery is at peak voltage/capacity. That is extremely important for the 1500s.

The engine needs to really be whirling to create a good vacuum to open the fuel valve. I also start it on full "choke" and leave it on full choke keeping it at about 2,000 rpm.

Back the "choke" off a few hundred rpm every little bit to keep it at about 2,000 rpm for a minute or two until it stabilizes. In about 3-5 minutes it will idle down more and more as the engine warms up.

The 1500s are a very cold natured beast at first.

If you have a marginal battery, I highly suggest a new one. If $$$ are not critical in your budget, it is suggested that you go with a glass mat as they will hold their voltage far better than a lead/acid type battery while under heavy cranking loads.

Inspect every connection from the battery to the starter terminal for cleanliness and make sure they are snug and tight.

It is not unusual for an electrical system in declining health for the engine to "not fire up" until after you release the starter button. that is a sure sign of poor starter system health.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.