Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I noticed a fluid leak at the end of my clutch lever (end closest to the bike)this morning. I need advice from the goldwing gods, on what to do, or what I need to get to repair it. Its not a fast leak but I have noticed the fluid level in the glass has gone down.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the seal in the clutch master cylinder is leaking. You will need to get a rebuild kit for the clutch master cylinder. When you have it apart check the piston and the cylinder for burs or wear.

Splendora, I have several friends that live in Splendora. Our pastor lives there as many of our church members......:waving:

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thats great. I haven't found any wing riders here locally. I do have the repair manual, but I like to talk to people about the work first. Is this a tough job to do? I'll be doing the timing belts next.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thats great. I haven't found any wing riders here locally. I do have the repair manual, but I like to talk to people about the work first. Is this a tough job to do? I'll be doing the timing belts next.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

You could very well know most of them as most have either lived there all their life or have lived there for many many years....

It's not a hard repair to do. I just glanced at the parts explosion and it's pretty straight forward. If you have ever done a master cylinder on a car or truck it's the same just a little smaller. You will probably have a harder time bleeding the system afterwards that doing the repairs.

Oh and by the way be VERY CAREFUL :shock:with the fluid as it's Dot 4 brake fluid and it will eat the paint right of of anything it stays on for any length of time........

I replaced all my bleeder valves with speedbleeders and flushed all my systems. Those speedbleeders worked like a charm for me.....:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

thumper1963 wrote:
I see several folks up and down 1314 and I know there are a couple guys on 2090 that ride wings. There are also a few guys in and around Porter that ride Goldwings also. I ride pretty much all the time to work and back home.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

thumper1963 wrote:
I noticed a fluid leak at the end of my clutch lever (end closest to the bike)this morning.

Is the leak on the left hand side of the master cylinder where the clutch lever would move the plunger?

I just want to make sure that I am telling you correctly what to look for.....

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

O.K, thanks for the information. I got the kit today, hopefully put it in tomorrow. I've heard of speedbleeders but I'm not familiar with them. How do they work?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
imported post

Speed Bleeders work great!!! They are basically a valve like the stock one except they have a one way check valve built into them...

So when bleeding brakes (or clutch) crack the valve open about 1/4-1/2 turn and just pump the brake pedal or lever... Once all the air bubble are gone, close the valve and tighten it to spec...

I've had them on my bike for many years and have been completely happy with them...

Les

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks, I've look at them. How many do I need for the whole bike (I'm guessing 4), and do they have to be stainless?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

thumper1963 wrote:
Thanks, I've look at them. How many do I need for the whole bike (I'm guessing 4), and do they have to be stainless?

Your guess would be correct. I used the regular ones, not stainless, and they look and work fine. You can't see them anyway after installation until you remove some tupperware. This is where I got mine. The one for the rear is a different length but the others are the same.

edit: Correction... on the 88-94 the above info is correct. The 95-00 has the clutch as the one with different length. Anyway, you shouldn't have any problem if you follow the chart recommendation.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/Motorcycle%20Sizes.htm#Honda

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

O.k. I got the speedbleeders in and I'm just getting around to rebuilding the clutch master cylinder. Once the system is bled, Can the kit be put in while the master cylinder is still mounted or, is it best to take it off?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Easier off the bike.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

can you keep us posted with tips and how it turned out? just ordered the rebuild kit for mine.

thanks

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

O.K. here is an update. I'm just got around to rebuilding the master cylinder. It has not gone to well. I put the kit in and I put the new speedbleeder on the slave cylinder. The problem I'm having is that the pressure is not building up. When I bled it, Ibacked the speedbleeder out 1/4 of a turn and started squeezing the lever and not a whole lot comes out. (I expected a steady streamas the lever is squeezed), but it is not. So, I put my old bleeder back in, tightened it up,pumpedthe lever and held it in, then opened the bleeder. Fluid did shoot out then, but the lever does not seem to have much resistance when squeezed.

I have it on the center stand so I decided to start it, put it in gear and hold the clutch in. The rear wheel still spins which tells me the clutch is not engaging.

Cansome of the Guru'sgive me some advice? I hope this makes sense to someone.

I wasn't drinking when I did the job but after working on this for over 3 hours I decided to call it a night and have a few drinks, haha!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.