Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

now....when i boutght the bike forks were horrible, then i cleaned them inside, changed the springs with progressive ones and used a w 10 oil

i am well builded....210 punds..., my wife she's less then half of me:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
so you can have an idea about the kind of weight on my bike normaly.

i did the fork job with a friend and i fallowed the progressive instruction but either i made a mistake or the w10 oil is not the correct one???

yes the front is much more firm but when i hit something it seams like stiff to much...., is it because it bounce back to fast??? as far as i can remember oil effects the bouncing more then the spring....

would it be better to use a w15???

am i correct if i say that with mounted forks and springs inside the quantity usually is about 280 ml???

bottom line what number of oil you suggest me with progressve springs?
how much?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me that you have too much oil in your forks, Phil. Myself and a lot of others use 10W oil in their forks with satisfactory results. I myself go about 250 lbs (270 - 280 lbswith allmy armoured riding gear on)

Read up on this and it should help you out : http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/112695.html.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well i asked my guru here in italy how much oil to put inside the fork installed with bike jacked up: he told me 280 ml and after i drained out from the bolt fork i mesured it and realized i am exceding of 80 ml.

Could it be this 80 ml?.... We'll see...

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

pippomaranga wrote:
i mesured it and realized i am exceding of 80 ml.

:grinner:

Too much oil = < air on top of the oil= > 'preload' = stiffer/harsher ride and risk blowing out your seals

Too little oil= > air on top of the oil = < 'preload' = softer ride because now there's more air in the forks to 'squish' when you hit a bump.

Here's a simple Analogy. - The air inside each fork tube acts as a sort of shock absorber. When you have less oil/more air inside, that 'shock absorber' has a longer stroke, giving a more supple ride. When you have too muchoil/less air inside, the reduced volumeof air inside the 'stroke' is now shorter and reaches maxiumum compression much sooner than it does with more air, giving you a stiffer/harsh ride.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
pippomaranga wrote:
i mesured it and realized i am exceding of 80 ml.

:grinner:

Too much oil = < air on top of the oil= > 'preload' = stiffer/harsher ride and risk blowing out your seals

Too little oil= > air on top of the oil = < 'preload' = softer ride because now there's more air in the forks to 'squish' when you hit a bump.

Here's a simple Analogy. - The air inside each fork tube acts as a sort of shock absorber. When you have less oil/more air inside, that 'shock absorber' has a longer stroke, giving a more supple ride. When you have too muchoil/less air inside, the reduced volumeof air inside the 'stroke' is now shorter and reaches maxiumum compression much sooner than it does with more air, giving you a stiffer/harsh ride.

and yes!!!!! 80 ml less and it is another bike....way less stiff but still firm and secure.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I have had progressive springs in both Wings... (Goin in the 87 this weekend)
I know Honda only indicates a "volume" measurement.
Progressive Springs displace more "area" within the tube, and therefore they recommend a measured "lineal" amount.
The instruction sheet from progressive should indicate the "level" from the top of the tube to the height of the oil.
Just my 2 cents.. I am sure others are better versed on the topic..
Dave

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

I was thinking of going with the progressive springs but the more I read the more I get confused. It seems eveyone has a different opnion on how to, and how much. Is this not written in stone somewhere?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

tomusa wrote:
I was thinking of going with the progressive springs but the more I read the more I get confused. It seems eveyone has a different opnion on how to, and how much. Is this not written in stone somewhere?
as far as progressive springs on the front? more firm and more stable handling big time!

in the back progressive 416 oil air.....again...less confortable but big big time more handling!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Shotgunner wrote:
I have had progressive springs in both Wings... (Goin in the 87 this weekend)
I know Honda only indicates a "volume" measurement.
Progressive Springs displace more "area" within the tube, and therefore they recommend a measured "lineal" amount.
The instruction sheet from progressive should indicate the "level" from the top of the tube to the height of the oil.
Just my 2 cents.. I am sure others are better versed on the topic..
Dave

The trouble with Honda's recommendation is that there is always some oil left in the forks and on the springs, so this method proves to be very difficult at best to arrive at the correct amount of oil in the tubes, especially when just draining and refilling the oil.

While the Progressive method is a 'truer' capacitymethod, you have to remove boththe fork caps and the springs to achieve the correct amount of oil in both tubes. Not very convenient.

The method arrived at by Stan (Satan) and reported by Mike (pwhoever) is the easiest way I know of at arriving at the correct amount of oil inboth fork tubes, provided you have fork caps that are drilled andtapped for either air valves, or at least a bolt in your fork caps, like I have. Just remove the air valve/bolt, insert your syringe/tubing combination and slightly overfill each tube. Then insert the same combo that either has a washer, or an easily read marking on the tube at the predetermined length back into the fork tube and remove any oil until you stop getting any 'extra' oil. You now have the correct and most importantly, identicallevels of oil in both tubes.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=1287045

Dusty

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

That is correct Dusty. I did that method and a smooth ride it was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.