Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed today my forks are leaking so I need to rebuild. Shop wants $250 and I ain't paying that. Any help in parts to order to rebuild would be great. Rides a little rough right now so need to do pretty quick.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
What bike are asking on?
Nothing in your signature or the title.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry! I have a 1988 GL1500.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me. If he is going to remove forks, clean them out, put new upper and lower bushings on, new seals, and refill forks with oil and reassemble. Most shops charge 60-$75.00 an hour. If you have time, and space to do the work, along with the know how you could save a little money.
The Honda dealer near me wants $340.00 to do the job.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I can't find a shop that will touch a bike that is 15years or older. Like stated if all you have to do is take them the bike for $250 I would jump on that deal.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
2 each of

BUSH, GUIDE
51414-MN5-003

BUSH, SLIDER
51415-KCR-003

SEAL SET, FR. FORK
51490-MN8-305
And fork oil.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. I believe I can tackle this and save a little money. I might also tackle the belts and tensioners while things are out of the way. Some great folks on here with a lot of knowledge just in case.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
While your in the forks, Might as well put in a set of progressive springs also.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I might hold off on the Progressive fork springs. My last `91 Aspencade had a tendency to bottom out when I hit the front brakes, and Progressives helped that bike. My current `98 S.E. got them when I first bought the bike and it rides too harsh. The comination of the springs, and the really bad roads around here has damaged some of the fairing mounts to where it is a rattle trap now. (I have rebuilt the forks using correct amount of 10 weight oil.) Still rides harsh. If your bike isn`t bottoming out when you hit the front brake, leave stock springs in.
gumbyred

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.