Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've looked all over the forum but can't find how you install the slider bearing and oil seal. Can't find any pipe that'll work either. Anyone have a tool design or a forum reference? Thanks

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Terry .... you talking about driving the fork tube seal home?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Did you do a forum search Terry? There is lots on it.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes, how do you drive the slider bushing and oil seal in without the special tool Honda uses? The main tube has to be in the fork when you do this so any tool has to fit around it and match the 2 items to be installed.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Newday - I looked a lot and couldn't find anything.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You can use a 4' long x1 1/2" piece of PVC/ABS pipe, split down the centre, to drive the oil seal home.

Not sure what you mean by the 'slider bearing' :?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Dusty. I'll give it a go. The slider bushing is pressed into the aluminum lower leg right under the oil seal.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Doesn't that slider bushing just go on the fork tube?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

It, the guide bushing and the back up ring all just slide into the tube, Terry. Then drive the oil seal home, install the circlip and the dust seal.

Oh ya ..... make sure you have the oil seal on the right way, not upside down!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well I was off making the 1 1/2" ABS tool and used it to drive both the slider, then the seal in on the first fork. So I'm going to do the oil measurement I promised and then move on to the other fork. Thanks for the help mate. By the way, did you see Stu Oltman's info on the oil lock piece? It goes in the left fork on the '99. I don't think it's true for other years though. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

if its like the 1200 you can take two pieces of 1 1/2" i beleive PVC pipe,slit down the middle and band together to drive seal home,think there was one on ebay too
i like this,price is much better than the $60 one i saw last week after searching ebay cam up with this slick little fork seal tool and price was ok too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200715634982?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

GL1200 (42mm)

really like the engineering on this tool vs using the pvc driver

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Oh ya ..... make sure you have the oil seal on the right way, not upside down!
Yes I noticed it had springs on both sides. The manual said mfg numbers up. That put the fattest outside end in first which seemed counter-intuitive but that's the way I did it.

My slider bushings had to be hammered in so I did them first with your abs tool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.