Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

While removing my front wheel on my 2000 /1500/45k milesto investagate my speedo not working I noticed my front right outer pad completey worn down to almost the metal. A close one; rotors are $$$... I suspect plugged return hole or sticky pluggers; return pins o.k.... Anyway during the parts ordering and speedo gear box cleaning [ cable is o.k] I noticed on the parts fiche that there are two washers #44809ml7003that gointo the gear housing that retains the speedo drive gear were missing... brief explanation here on operation: there is a gear retainer #44680mt2000that goes onto the leftside of the front wheel just under the dust seal. This retainer seats into notches of wheel. Then the retainer has has two tags thatslot into the speedo drive gear tags and that gear ismade ofreal tuff plastic. This gear then drives the worm gear that is in the aluminum speedo housing that drivesyour speedo cable thatinserts intothe housingretained with a phillips head type screw.Then this cable goes up anddrives the speedometer in dash.

SOoooooheres' what I suspect happened,as this plastic drive gear was was replaced by my buddy; theprevious owner, at 30k miles... I suspect he really didn't clean all the molly grease out of the wheel retainer area and thespeedo gear housingand just installednew gear and never noticed missing washers and worn retainer tags. I think the washers are used as spacers and without them cause to much slop in the drive operation. This causing premature wear of tag engagement andalso impropergear to worm drive.Then with enough wear you have no speedo operation and worst of all; no cruise control:X

The parts are on order today and will attack this area as soon as they arrive and it isn't 104 degreeslike it suppose to be this week !!!I will keep you folksinformed if I was correct on my assumpations and inturn helping someone else with a brake pad shot and speedo failures.

Regards

Mark

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Mark -- those washers are also part of the "slip & wear" surface for the back of the take-off gear. There's two so that one can (and will) kinda stay stopped against the inner surface of the pickup housing, and the second can offer two grease-lubricated surfaces to take thrust and rotationaal loads.

It's pretty common to have one or both of those washers just "eaten-up" and carried off itno the grease.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As promised !!

As promised giving you all an update of my findings. Reference my post on 9-17 at 10:39; " GL1500 Front brake pads shot and speedo info..."
First the brakes--- I R&R all brake and clutch fluids and cleaned all areas. I found no evidence of any brake problems; plugged returned passages; etc.. on the front right caliper that is controlled by brake lever. The left is controlled by brake pedal. I do admit I'm a heavy front brake user from the Harley days and that might have been what I thought was my excessive brake pad wear on the right front. Also the old pads were EBC.... Now the speedo: I found only one wear washer/shim missing; the other was hydraulic locked at the bottom of case and worn some and a bugger to get out.. I suspect the missing washer was probably stuck to the old gear and got discarded unnoticed. As previously mentioned I found the retainer that's in the wheel that drives the white looking plastic drive gear had worn drive tabs. The retainer is made of metal and right at the ends of the drive tabs are rubber tips.
Comparing this to the new one; the rubber tips were considerably worn off; if not almost gone. In retrospect one could almost use the old gear with the new retainer; I didn't though. Now the hard part---> the new wear washers/shims were just slightly larger both O.D. and I.D.. making the hour job into a three hour job... I had to meticulously machine off the shims to hand fit them into speedo case bore... thanks mother Honda:X Soooooo anyway all went back together and checked out o.k. ----. so far anyway. I will again keep you posted if this doesn't work in the future. Also anybody that has a lower center cowl that would fit my 2000 I would appreciate a note... my chrome one is in bad shape and never did fit good:(

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
I had a similar situation with my speedo and just ended up by the whole housing with gears and all.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
While removing my front wheel on my 2000 /1500/45k milesto investagate my speedo not working I noticed my front right outer pad completey worn down to almost the metal. A close one; rotors are $$$... I suspect plugged return hole or sticky pluggers; return pins o.k.... Anyway during the parts ordering and speedo gear box cleaning [ cable is o.k] I noticed on the parts fiche that there are two washers #44809ml7003that gointo the gear housing that retains the speedo drive gear were missing... brief explanation here on operation: there is a gear retainer #44680mt2000that goes onto the leftside of the front wheel just under the dust seal. This retainer seats into notches of wheel. Then the retainer has has two tags thatslot into the speedo drive gear tags and that gear ismade ofreal tuff plastic. This gear then drives the worm gear that is in the aluminum speedo housing that drivesyour speedo cable thatinserts intothe housingretained with a phillips head type screw.Then this cable goes up anddrives the speedometer in dash.

SOoooooheres' what I suspect happened,as this plastic drive gear was was replaced by my buddy; theprevious owner, at 30k miles... I suspect he really didn't clean all the molly grease out of the wheel retainer area and thespeedo gear housingand just installednew gear and never noticed missing washers and worn retainer tags. I think the washers are used as spacers and without them cause to much slop in the drive operation. This causing premature wear of tag engagement andalso impropergear to worm drive.Then with enough wear you have no speedo operation and worst of all; no cruise control:X

The parts are on order today and will attack this area as soon as they arrive and it isn't 104 degreeslike it suppose to be this week !!!I will keep you folksinformed if I was correct on my assumpations and inturn helping someone else with a brake pad shot and speedo failures.

Regards

Mark
I'm not so sure I'd use moly on the gear. I did and within a year it was shot. I used a light gear oil, like 3 in 1 oil. I'll take it all apart and check it out shortly. I ended up replacing everything including the housing. The cable had siezed inside. Just something to think about. I don't believe the book states what lube to use.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
If one pad is a lot thinner than the other in any caliper it's usually because the caliper is frozen and can't move side to side to even the pressure on both pads. There's a sleeve that passes through the caliper body through which the smaller mounting bolt goes. Remove the sleeve by pressing or driving it about half way out of the caliper, removing the rubber boot on that side, press or drive the sleeve out of the caliper on the other side and remove it and the other boot. The hole in the caliper body and the sleeve's outer service will need cleaning and relubing with a bood water resistant grease. I use boat trailer wheel bearing grease. It pays to clean and lube these mounting sleeves whenever you have the calipers off as when changing tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.