Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

'91 GL1500 Interstate.

Changed both sets of front pads today and being a bit of a neat freak pulled both calipers for cleaning. That all went well. Re-installed and managed to strip the anti-dive bolt on the right caliper ... major bummer now waiting for that bolt replacement.

Installed speed bleeders on both sides. Bled the left front, then the rear and things are good. Went to bleed the right front and get absolutely nothing from the front master cylinder ... even pulling the banjo bolt at the caliper. Found a thread that said not to let the front master lose all the fluid (too late for that !!) or you have trouble getting pressure back into the line. Found a vague reference to cracking the banjo at the master cylinder ... don't know what that could accomplish, but is that they way to get pressure flowing down to the caliper? Pumped the brake lever many, many times with no results. And yes I had good brake pressure before the pad change.

I'm a little confused on what should be a simple problem and could use a little advise.

If this has been covered ad naseum, just point me to the right thread. :?

Thanks

Pat

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

is there brake fluid coming out of the caliper when you try to bleed it, cracking the banjo nut and bleeding that first always helped me. if you have fluid coming from the caliper but no pressure behind it you probably still have air in the master cylinder or line. you can also fill the resivoir and leave the bleeder open until you get fluid to run out.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well ... I started by pulling the bleeder but got no fluid coming out, then pulled the banjo from the caliper and still got nothing. Unless someone has a better idea I may try the reverse method (pushing fluid back to the master from the bleeder) tomorrow.

Right now I'm just stumped.

Thanks

Pat

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

jpelmer wrote:
Found a vague reference to cracking the banjo at the master cylinder ... don't know what that could accomplish, but is that they way to get pressure flowing down to the caliper?
That will probably work. You can see the clutch banjo bolt bleed instructions & video here: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwingclutchbleeding.htm

It's much the same job for the brake lever.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

jpelmer wrote:
Well ... I started by pulling the bleeder but got no fluid coming out, then pulled the banjo from the caliper and still got nothing. Unless someone has a better idea I may try the reverse method (pushing fluid back to the master from the bleeder) tomorrow.

Right now I'm just stumped.

Thanks

Pat
this has worked for me a couple of times , hose over the bleed nipple and using a syringe , push the brake fluid upwards .

i think you have to hold in the brake lever until you hear the clicking sound .

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

What a PITA !!

For all you guys able to change brake pads without pulling the caliper, I commend you. Being a lowly garage hack, I didn't see any good way of getting that done. So like the newby I am, I pulled the caliper and disconnected the brake line at the banjo bolt, which of course drained all the fluid from the master.

So, bleed the master at the master banjo (wrapping everything to prevent spills) a couple times to get fluid there. Now bleed the banjo at the caliper (being careful not to spray fluid everywhere or drain down onto the new pads). Do this a half dozen times, THEN you get some pressure building up and are able to work the bleeder properly and get those last bubbles out. Finally got decent pressure and locked things down. Tied the brake handle and going to let it sit over night for that final firming.

As I said ... major PITA !! But maybe I learned ... naw.:dumb:

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.