Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the front brakes to have both front brakes (Left and Right) on a 1500 work on the front brake lever, I would like to cahnge mine so both front brakes operate off the front master cyclinder, if this has been done where would I find a junction box for the brake lines. Thanks again dana:praying:

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Dana I have not made this change yet . I want to . I have concerns that the 1500 front master will not move the volume of fluid to operate both calipers .
Back to your question though. You can find banjo bolts in a longer length to accomodate putting two caliper lines right to the master . Yo u will need to source another hose though. Also How will/did you cap off the line from the rear to the front?
Could you share any photos of your trike build ?

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Hi Guys, I just had a thought that you could try a cbr1000f master cylinder. I know that they have plenty of volume/stroke. I tried one on my mates Ducati Darma and it made the front brakes feel and work well. As he has restored the bike he has gone back to the crappy Brembo master cylinder and spongy front brakes. Couldn't live with the thought of a Honda part out performing Italian wizardry.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Pardon my ignorance on this topic. But if the bike came from the factory with two brake calipers on the front, and one master cylinder, what makes one assume that only one of the calipers works at any given time? Just asking, cause it doesnt make sense to me. Is the rear brake set-up connected to the front? Seems as though that would create uneven wear. This is admittedly not something I have looked into. I thought front and rears were completely seperate from each other.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Yes, Goldwings after 82. had linked brakes the left?? side linked to t he rear..so the right ?? front was the only one the front lever works..

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Crossover line

Some trike manufactures use a crossover line to "Piggy Back" the left caliper off the right. The ones Ive seen have been on the CSC trikes. The master cylinder does move enough volume to actuate both sides. All of the ones Ive seen have had braided lines. They are a pain in the rear to bleed because air gets trapped in that crossover. The left caliper has to be dismounted and raised above the right one to get the air out of the line.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dana I have not made this change yet . I want to . I have concerns that the 1500 front master will not move the volume of fluid to operate both calipers .
Back to your question though. You can find banjo bolts in a longer length to accomodate putting two caliper lines right to the master . Yo u will need to source another hose though. Also How will/did you cap off the line from the rear to the front?
Could you share any photos of your trike build ?
Mike
Wish I could send pics, but had not found this site when I was working on it, I capped off the kline at the rear master cyclinder and soldered a brass fitted cap to the threads of the left front line, I'll let you know if and when I get it figured out, thanks for the interest Dana

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try and contact CSC and see if they have anything they would sell me to try this, thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pardon my ignorance on this topic. But if the bike came from the factory with two brake calipers on the front, and one master cylinder, what makes one assume that only one of the calipers works at any given time? Just asking, cause it doesnt make sense to me. Is the rear brake set-up connected to the front? Seems as though that would create uneven wear. This is admittedly not something I have looked into. I thought front and rears were completely seperate from each other.
The left front caliper is connected to the rear master cylinder and the right front runs off the front master cylinder, i guess maybe it was done to try and make you use both front and rear brake when stopping but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Front fender removal????

I know this doesn't solve anyone's problems, but as a new wing owner (96 GL1500) I would like to know how to remove the front wheel fender. I know, it should be simple, but I just don't want to break anything.:?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know this doesn't solve anyone's problems, but as a new wing owner (96 GL1500) I would like to know how to remove the front wheel fender. I know, it should be simple, but I just don't want to break anything.:?
Go to the reference and FAQ section and you will find what your looking for, try the front brake removal one I think that has it also. Dana Sorry its in this section but under the how to videos and pics, see top of this forum directory and welcome. Dana

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Look at the beginning of the forum you found this on and go to the how to section then go to honda goldwing 1500 fork removal this shows good pics in the beginning on fender removal. Dana

·
Registered
16 Posts
... I have concerns that the 1500 front master will not move the volume of fluid to operate both calipers .
The calipers don't move that much when you apply the brakes and not much fluid is needed to accomplish it anyways. Yes, Honda did link the left front to the rear on the 1500's. they did this with a metering block but I haven't looked for it. It was their way of making sure that the brakes were applied evenly to stop the big machine. I personally never used the front brake in the rain after having locked up the front on a 350 in just such a situation. But I don't have that choice since I bought the Wing. The pads do wear unevenly, but not to the extent where it is overly obvious. I just check on the left front and change both sides when needed at the same time.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
The left front caliper is connected to the rear master cylinder and the right front runs off the front master cylinder, i guess maybe it was done to try and make you use both front and rear brake when stopping but thats just my opinion.
I guess that explains why using the rear pedal makes it work so well, and just the front...not so much.
I do use both since all my past bikes were seperate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.