Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 92 GW has a minor "clunk" when I hold the right hand brake and when I rock the bike back and forth. Is it the steering stem bearings or is it the caliper activating anti-dive that's making this minor clunk? Last time I had the front end off the ground I grabbed the forks and yanked them back and forth and didn't feel any play.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I believe that is the anti-dives.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just lifted the front off the ground and yanked back and forth on the front wheel and hear, or feel, no clunking. Must be the anti-dive valve. That sound and feel on any other bike would tell me my steering stem bearings are loose.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Unlikely the stem, just rocking is not going to unload 800lbs. of machine from the bearings. That is why they are checked with wheel off ground.

Spend the 5 minutes to remove rotor cover and have an assistant do the rocking. Let us know what you find.

Could also be the springs doing a little dance inside the tubes.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unlikely the stem, just rocking is not going to unload 800lbs. of machine from the bearings. That is why they are checked with wheel off ground.

Spend the 5 minutes to remove rotor cover and have an assistant do the rocking. Let us know what you find.

Could also be the springs doing a little dance inside the tubes.
I need to find someone bigger and heavier than my 110lb wife and then I'll do as you suggest. It seems to handle and brake just fine.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Yeah, at 55K it's not likely to be the head bearings. Do the test DriverRider suggested and while down there check wheel bearings and look closely for anything loose.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I changed the front tire about 2000 miles ago and checked the front bearings and they felt good; smooth and tight.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Check to make sure the little bushings in the bottem caliper mounts are still there. They're supposed to be held in with a clip but if you don't watch them they can disappear when you R and R the front wheel.

Best way to verify steering bearing adjustment is with a test ride. If they're loose to the point of making noise, you'll usually hear a clunk when you go over small bumps as well. I also like to grab the front brake and watch the steering top clamp. Frequently you can see it move in relationship to the frame.

Most 15's probably don't need a steering adjustment at 55K...but some do. On one occasion I had a loose steering head on a brand new 15 I predelivered after going over railroad tracks. One of the races was obviously not completely seated. Over the years I've come across quite a few 15's that need head adjustment at 20K to 30K.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check to make sure the little bushings in the bottem caliper mounts are still there. They're supposed to be held in with a clip but if you don't watch them they can disappear when you R and R the front wheel.

Best way to verify steering bearing adjustment is with a test ride. If they're loose to the point of making noise, you'll usually hear a clunk when you go over small bumps as well. I also like to grab the front brake and watch the steering top clamp. Frequently you can see it move in relationship to the frame.
The front end is quiet while riding with no "clunks" or noises of any kind, so what I'm hearing while rocking the bike, with only the front brake on, is probably the anti-dive valve popping on and off. The bike does move fore and aft, ever so slightly while doing this.

I will go ahead and check the steering stem bearings sometime, just for good measure.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
As dizzy said, the bushings could be missing, I had one that did that and rattled going down the road from being loose, worn in the antidive hole itself.
Have you serviced the fork oil yet? Changing yearly helps cut out some wearing on the front fork parts as well as give a better ride.
That's a good time to pull the antidive apart and check all its parts for wear.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As dizzy said, the bushings could be missing, I had one that did that and rattled going down the road from being loose, worn in the antidive hole itself.
Have you serviced the fork oil yet? Changing yearly helps cut out some wearing on the front fork parts as well as give a better ride.
That's a good time to pull the antidive apart and check all its parts for wear.
I serviced the fork last summer, installing progressive springs and new oil. I didn't disassemble and check the internals.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a chance to inspect the front calipers. The FR caliper, operated by the front brake, moves a little when I twist it or push it back and forth. It moves enough that I bet it's what I'm hearing when I rock the bike on the front/right brake. I guess it's moving back and forth on the pins. The FL caliper also moves a bit, but not as much as the FR caliper. I loosened and re-torqued every thing and all seems fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.