Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1994 GL1500SE with 75000 miles ( 125000 kms ) has developed a slight shimmy or wobble for less than a minute when first riding down the road and then it goes away. *** Not to be confused with the worse wobble that you can make happen at higher speeds ( 20 - 30 mph ) by letting go of the bars or hitting one of the handgrips.

JUST TO CLARIFY ANY Confusion.... Started after Front tire replaced this year.

-Bike has New front tire less than 500 miles when it started Dunlop E3

-Newer front wheel and balanced been on for 2 years. Never did it

-Forks just rebuilt after this started for a safety inspection, and -Head bearings replaced also during inspection.
It still does it after all this front end work. and has had no effect.

NOTE: UPdate August 27th, 2011. I had to safety this Wing as part of the sale to new owner. His dealer is saying that the REAR tire which is cupped but within wear limits is causing this wobble...... Will keep you posted

It goes away after a short distance and doesnt do it until you start off another day. Is it possible this tire develops a flat spot that dissappears after a short ride ??

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

With steering bearings and forks done, the tyre or wheel balance has to be suspect.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Did you replace upper, and lower fork bushings at the same time forks were rebuilt? What weight oil was used in forks?
Tire air pressure should be around 41. If it started the wobble soon after work was completed, I would tend to think the steering head bearings need to tigthtened just a little more.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Also verify:
-Swing arm is not loose, side-to-side.
-PSI is high, on rear shock. Less than 59 creates a wobbly ride.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
imported post

IMHO. If it happens only for the first few miles then I think that it is something that gets warm and then the problem goes away. This could be the fork oil (although it would probably take more than a few miles), front wheel bearings or even the speedometer drive unit. I have always replaced my tyres as a pair (that's my preference) and so would not rule out a problem with the rear tyre. I have tried 15w fork oil but find that 10w is the best for the stock springs.

Just a few things to check.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

maybe the new neck brngs need touching up...ill bet!

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

Dyna beads..Don't follow Factory recommendations Use 2 oz in each wheel. I have no problems with it.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Make sure the tire is completely sealed on the rim......

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

The New Owner of my Goldwing took it to his dealer and they are saying that the Rear tire has scalloping / cuppung on it and that will cause this short term wobble. Hope it fixes it and I will keep you posted.

FYI: I added a " SuperBrace " fork brace when I bought this bike 3 years ago and found it did very little for the higher speed wobble people talk about. Any other comments on this ??

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks for your reply. It did this even before all the front end work that was required to safety the bike and sell it. New Owner says his dealer claims the back tire needs replacing as it has scalloping. wILL SEE.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

New owner took it to his dealer and they are saying that the rear tire which passed a safety is scalloped and is probably causing this short term wobble.

AGAIN, It does it for less than a kilometer then goes away and does not come back until the next day..... Very strange.

Thanks for your reply.

John

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for your reply. It did this even before all the front end work that was required to safety the bike and sell it. New Owner says his dealer claims the back tire needs replacing as it has scalloping. wILL SEE.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

i could change my front feel by raising and or lowering the rear pressure in the shocks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.