Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Front fork seals leaking on my 1997 gl1500se Only 6500 miles on the bike want to change seals and springs any help on what to order thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You'll needa fork seal,a dust seal for each fork leg. With the low mileage on your bike it's not likely you'd need a set of fork bushings. Usually it takes more than 100,000 miles to need those. You can get the parts from many sources, Bike Bandit, Old Bike Barn, Motogrid to name a few. It's an easy job and there's plenty of info here about how to do it. At Motogrid the seal and dust cover is listed as item #31 on the suspension page of Honda OEM items. The price is $26 for a set for each fork tube.

Click here

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks guys great help. yes 6500 mls bike sat for 10yrs i ordered item #31. any thoughts on progressive springs and is it better to remove the whole leg or just lower half and atf or fork oil i have read about both

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

sat for 10 years?...other seals might fail too soon...i would rebuild the brake calipers and masters(cheap)shifter seal may be crunchy too...have fun

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you plan on installing Progressive springs now would be the time to do it. If not, then the easiest way to put in new seals is to leave the fork tubes in the steering stem and pull off the lowers. I wouldn't worry about replacing a whole bunch of seals other than ones that are leaking. While it's true that some of them are pretty old I didn't have to rebuild many of thethe calipers and master cylinders on my '93 just a couple that had a bit of seepage.
The clutch slave cylinder was original and never touched when I sold the bike last year.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

I totally agree with changing both fork seals now since the bike has sat for a very extended period. Obviously new fork oil and now would be the time to replace the fork springs. You'll really notice the improvement with the Progressive fork springs. Progressive suggests using 15 wt oil but I found it too stiff for my liking and 10 wt worked much better for me. YRMV. You're handling will greatly improve either way.

I don't agree with the 100k mileage estimate for wear on the fork bushings. While 6k miles is probably too little to worry about it…. they will be worn out by 20-30k miles. Look on the link on exavid's post and #14 is the bushing you need to inspect. If you see any copper color showing through the teflon coating the bushing is worn out. Honda Direct Line has them for $7.00 each. If you are interested they are offering a 10% discount this weekend if you put VET2011 in the 'coupon code' area.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Actually I've changed several sets of bushings anddidn't see much wear on the bushings under 80k or so. My 1500 had some teflon worn off at 100,000 but not enough to cause play in the lowers. The upper on still fit on the fork tube with hardly and detectable play. Not as easy to gauge the play in the lower bushing but it had no more wear than the upper that I could see. Oregonwinger and I replaced the seals in a friend's bike here last summer, and on that 1500 which is in the 80k mile range we did replace the bushings but it wasn't really necessary at that point. BTW - when you have two guys who've done it before and all the right tools the job can be done in 45 minutes. We kept track of the time on a clock in the garage just to see.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I think im ready
exavid I thought I leave the uppers if I do the progressive springs does removing both make it easier or is it that much more work?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Whether you remove the fork tubes or leave them on the bike depends on how you go about compressing the springs to put the fork caps back on. It's been done brute force with a socket and ratchet, I made up a crude jig that worked off the bike to compress and replace the fork caps and there was just recently someone (sorry I forgot who) who posted about his nicely made spring compressor that allows the spring to be compressed and the cap replaced with the tubes on the bike. If you try it without a jig you might need two people to get the caps on, those Progressive springs are hard to push down by hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.