Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I have a 93 GL1500 Asp and would like to improve ride from the front shocks. I know they are adjustable up to 6 psi. (very small window). I'mreluctant to mess with it for fear of busting something. Do any of you fool with this setting? If so, How do you go about getting them balanced and at6psi or less? Thanks,

Steve

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I've gone up to 15psi without losing any air, but the ride gets noticeably harsher at that setting so I leave it at around 10 nowadays.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

I've gone up to 21 because someone mistakenly told me that was the correct pressure. It never leaked air or oil but the front end was like a rock. Dropped it back to 10psi and I keep it at that.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

21 Wow!

I was afraid of busting something. Right not I don't think I have any air in there. It seems to be way to soft. How did you guys put it in them balanced?

I was thinking of using a small hand pump. Using the exact same size "stroke" to balance them. Problem is, if you use a guage, the amount of air that escapes will dramatically change its pressure. I confussed. (nothing new) Is there a tool availabe that will be more precise?

Steve

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I used to put 10psi in mine, when I disconnected the airline it would lose abut 2 or 3psi so I was withing spec. Hope that helps. :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

With Progressive springs in my bike, I usually leave the pressure at 0

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Don't know how much, but you can find that out easily by doing a Google on it. Progressive tell you not to use air when their springs are installed.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
Don't know how much, but you can find that out easily by doing a Google on it. Progressive tell you not to use air when their springs are installed.
They run around $70 for the front fork springs. I have Progressive 416s on the rear too.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
imported post

You could go to a Harley dealer and get the pump they use for their rear shocks on the baggers. It has a gauge 0 to 30 psi if I remember. It does no loose air when disconnected. It has about a 6 inch hose with a screw on air chuck. A lot easier than putting 150 psi in your shocks by accident when you forget to turn the reg down on your compressor.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You can save money by getting a compact bicycle pump at Wal Mart. A lot less than one purchased from an HD store and it won't have that logo on it either. I really doubt you're going to see much change in riding qualities even with air set at max psi. A lot of 1500s don't even have air valves in their fork bolts because the air didn't make much difference. You could gain a bit by making a spacer out of a piece of PVC pipe and a washer on top of the springs. The best bet is to replace the saggy springs.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
imported post

I know I could not find any schrader valves on my forks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.