Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Peering through the grills, I can see my speakers are Kenwoods, with a separate tweeter. I havent stripped them down yet, but they look similar to the model Kenwood - KFC-S402P

They are sounding like they need replacement, getting quite scratchy way before half way on the radio volume.

Is there any inherent advantage in replacing them with a component set like this, or going coaxial such as the Polk 501.

There are some specification differences in the 2 models I mentioned & I think I can work them out - I'm just wondering about the advantages of one style over the other.

Here are pages with the specs;

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/speakers/5/db501/

http://www.ministryofbass.com.au/moshop/index.php/car-audio/car-speakers/4-inch-speakers/kenwood-kfc-s402p-4-inch-component-20w-rms.html

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

I haven't used either but installed the db401's in my 83A and it was a huge improvement over the Dual brand ones they replaced.

One thing that looked intriguing to me about the Kenwoods was the frequency range of 45-85 khz. I'm not sure how well that would match the output of the GL1500 audio but it may produce improved bass response over the Polk's.

There are several recent threads on speaker replacements and I'm sure some true audiophiles will be chiming in shortly.

·
350 Posts
imported post

here is what you should look at they are marine speakers...I have them and like them alot. took a little of mod to the speaker hole with a dremel to fit but it's all good now.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17948_Polk-Audio-MM521.html

check around for best price. you should also look into speaker baffles aswell.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

SCB wrote:
One thing that looked intriguing to me about the Kenwoods was the frequency range of 45-85 khz. I'm not sure how well that would match the output of the GL1500 audio but it may produce improved bass response over the Polk's.
Yes, that caught my eye too. Certainly the ones I have at the moment aren't too good on the bass response, but I dont really know the model. The relative performances of the different physical types, rather than brands,is my query at this stage, & I guess its the bass we all want to improve.

I've spent the last few hours reading all the speaker posts & havent yet found a comment on this aspect.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

DOC1500 wrote:
here is what you should look at they are marine speakers...I have them and like them alot. took a little of mod to the speaker hole with a dremel to fit but it's all good now.
Thanks Doc, yes that model is certainly on my look at list.

I note the pics show what I assume is a crossover box. Can the tweeter be mounted separately rather than coaxially?

·
350 Posts
imported post

scons wrote:
DOC1500 wrote:
Thanks Doc, yes that model is certainly on my look at list.

I note the pics show what I assume is a crossover box. Can the tweeter be mounted separately rather than coaxially?
not sure ,but it all fits with a little mod as I said
and use these to help with bass.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT52/XTC-5-1-4-Speaker-Baffles-Slim-line-2-1-2-depth.html?tp=2809

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Separate or coaxial shouldn't make a huge difference. The higher the frequency the more direction is important, so the tweeters should look more at you than the midrange need to... and a bass speaker doesn't need left and right channels as there is almost no direction sense to it at all. Best under the seat I guess :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.