Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I finally got a chance to look into the non working air compressor on my 1993 GL1500SE. It didn't work when I purchased it last summer.

First off thanks to all of you for the great DIY articles. The desiccant article was very helpful in getting the compressor out to bench test it. I renewed the desiccant while I had it out.

So now to the question...

After finding a blown compressor fuse I changed it. It blew again immediately. Using the Honda service manual and some very helpful posts, I traced as many wires as I could to see if I could find the short. I found none. I removed the compressor to bench test it. Nothing. I took it apart and found that the electric motor was frozen. Using a tiny bit of WD40 I lubricated shafts at each end of the motor and then hand turned the gear inside the compressor housing and it broke loose. The motor now turned on the bench. I put it all back together and reinstalled it in the bike and it seems to be working fine now.

My question is: Is this a common problem? Should I start looking for a replacement? Or if I exercise it periodically will it be ok?

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
the new beads and lubed = all will be well, as noted above- use it!

Im ordering the dissewhatever with some other goodies, may as well replace 20+ year old stuff after getting it out, Parts $6.50 Cyclemax

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.