Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 89 must be blessed as I am not a slow or easy rider and I check mileage about every other tank and get a consistent 39-41 mpg. Average speed driving to work is either 65 or 70 depending on whether it is 2 lane or 4 lane highway. On the 2 lane I pass quite a few vehicles by down shifting to 4th, getting around them and back on my side of the road then back to road gear. I do run an ounce of Seafoam once a month thru the gas to keep things clean. Air filter gets cleaned or changed annually. Oil gets changed every 4k miles and I run with Mobile1 10w40. Tire pressure is checked every week and I run 2-3 lbs over spec.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,845 Posts
Okay,

that is something that I never did do...

just as a curiosity, and a happenstance, my 1800 is full of Pure Gas today, and I just this morning poured in 2 oz of TWC oil....

so, as usual, i will be keeping track of how it does over the next few tanks.

Will put in an oz of oil per tank next time and see how that does, I think that the 2 oz is probably way too rich.
I have seen the report of 1500s running TCW3 oil too and it is believable in a carbureted engine but I have tried it in 2 1800s and do it occasionally when I think about it and it does seem to make it run smoother but it has never made any difference in fuel economy, neither has running pure gas.

·
Administrator
58,200 Posts
Mystic/others may want to use a free speedometer app on your phone to compare indicated speed and miles vs the gps truth.

Then know your real mpg.
???

The GPS logs the exact distance traveled Tom, what other truth can there be?
Not talking about straight line miles point A to B...

dunno about your GPS, but everyone I have owned, all have a "Trip Instant" report, and on Garmins it is usually the lower left button that is indicating "current speed".

Press that, and it brings up a big display with nearly everything you could ask about "right now" and of that, mine have always had Trip-A and Trip-B

I use 'A' for trip legs, and 'B' for ongoing total miles traveled since xyz time.

·
Administrator
58,200 Posts
I have seen the report of 1500s running TCW3 oil too and it is believable in a carbureted engine but I have tried it in 2 1800s and do it occasionally when I think about it and it does seem to make it run smoother but it has never made any difference in fuel economy, neither has running pure gas.
Dave,
I don't know if it will or not, but on one trip a while back, I tried to find Pure Gas and the first thing you notice real fast, is the exhoribant price hike they charge for it.

The 2nd thing I noticed, was the mpg increase logged by Fuelio was not near enough to offset the cost difference.

When I filled it up with Pure Gas this last time, a few days ago, I was just thinking about the trip to ES coming up and wanted the tank to be full before I left, and was wanting to see if a slower ride like I have planned this time, will make any noticeable difference in MPG on my bike.

If it don't pan out good enough, I will forget about trying to find Pure Gas... and the cost of TWC3 added to the premium costs of pure gas really makes it not worthwhile.

when I did that, I was not planning on pulling my trailer, then two days ago, I decided that I can't afford not to... being away from home, I need all of my support gear in case I get too hot, and need something.

·
1,634 Posts
My 89 must be blessed as I am not a slow or easy rider and I check mileage about every other tank and get a consistent 39-41 mpg. Average speed driving to work is either 65 or 70 depending on whether it is 2 lane or 4 lane highway. On the 2 lane I pass quite a few vehicles by down shifting to 4th, getting around them and back on my side of the road then back to road gear. I do run an ounce of Seafoam once a month thru the gas to keep things clean. Air filter gets cleaned or changed annually. Oil gets changed every 4k miles and I run with Mobile1 10w40. Tire pressure is checked every week and I run 2-3 lbs over spec.

If you are calculating this with the miles from your odometer , then be aware that SOME odometers count 3 to 7 % more than your actual travelling distance .If thats the case , then your calculating also is wrong .
I am not saying that YOUR odometer is incorrect , yust trying to make a point .
BTW: If you are changing oil that often then it is waste of money , an oil in that Quality last at least 10000 Miles !

·
Registered
109 Posts
the calculations are done from the odometer from my Garmin. I know my speedo is off 2-3 mph based on the Garmin and phone speeds.

The main reason I change the oil often is because she is 28 years old with a lot of miles and I want her to run for another 100k or more.

·
Administrator
24,845 Posts
The main reason I change the oil often is because she is 28 years old with a lot of miles and I want her to run for another 100k or more.
In that case you may as well use conventional oil, but it's your money.

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Using pure gas should increase fuel mileage. Like John says, it is probably not worth it money wise though. Your call.
Ethanol has 75,000 BTU's while gas has 115,000 BTU's. Remember there is only 10% Ethanol though. The most significant difference is this. Ethanol is very high octane. It is 113 octane. The more Ethanol used the cheaper the gas required to get the 87 octane. In a nutshell if you add Ethanol it is possible to use very low octane gas and when mixed with the Ethanol still get 87 octane. Locally Kwik Trip is offering 12% (usually 10%) ethanol for a few cents less for that reason.

EDIT: Interesting article I just ran across: http://zfacts.com/p/436.html

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
John, I was not saying compare phone to gps, rather compare phone app to bikes odometer/speedo indicated
Not everyone has a gps on the bike!

So yes, ACTUAL not indicated total miles- is the desired intent of speedo app test.
Only then can you truly calculate the mpg

·
Administrator
21,990 Posts
When you check the mileage every tank, what you are really looking for is a significant difference from the average. Something that might indicate a problem. So it really doesn't matter if you get the mileage from the odometer or a GPS, as long as you are consistent.

The numbers you get off the pump aren't going to be all that consistent either.

·
Administrator
24,845 Posts

·
Administrator
21,990 Posts
They are supposed to be. They get tested occasionally for that purpose.

Sure, they're supposed to be. But if we're fiddling with a 3 to 5% difference that can be squeezed out of the GPS battle, I think it's reasonable to think you might find those variables between pumps as well.

Especially if we add in our reading of the pump, and our ability to fill the tank to exactly the same level each time.

·
Administrator
58,200 Posts
IMO,

the biggest error point is "when you click off the pump handle".....

Do you always make it a point to get in the very last drop possible, and is the bike sitting in the same attitude every time you fill up??

The pumps "should be very close", maybe off 1% or 2%, there is a test schedule on each pump, and I think, IIRC, they have to be done twice a year?? maybe only once??

guess not, depends on the state,
http://www.wfsb.com/story/30136527/state-inspectors-test-gas-pumps-for-accuracy

18 months in Kansas, https://agriculture.ks.gov/docs/default-source/w-m/accuracy-quality-fs.pdf?sfvrsn=4

here they say "There’s a tolerance. A pump can only dispense three cubic inches too little or six cubic inches too much per five gallon sample. If the pump if off by more than that, Koncki can shut it down."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Keeping-Gas-Pumps-Honest-140666363.html

so, it varies, but not too terribly much, for the most part.

but is it as accurate as we want? probably not, but over the long haul, using your records book, or an app like I do "Fuelio", I can look at the overall average over a period of many fillups, and that is the best we can do.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Always got low 40's on my 1500. Kept track for 200k miles and average was over 40. But, I am not an aggressive rider. I leave plenty of time to go to work so I do speed limit(55) but coming home I do 65. The 1800 at just shy 0f 69k is now up to an average of 45 MPG. Same deal with riding habits. Although Sturgis trip last year was 65mph and I still never got below 40.

·
Administrator
24,845 Posts
IMO,

the biggest error point is "when you click off the pump handle".....

Do you always make it a point to get in the very last drop possible, and is the bike sitting in the same attitude every time you fill up??
That is a big thing right there, some slabs have a slope and it does make a difference. Some pumps are hard to get a little trickle to get it to the same point too, there is a hard pull to get it to come on then it's full force. I like what I call soft nozzles where I can trickle it in.

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
The sealer of weights and measures is responsible for checking and sealing gas pumps in our city. The pumps must be within .5% of accurate. That's about 6 cubic inches on 5 gallons. There are 232 cubic inches in 1 gallon so that is 1160 cubic inches in 5 gallons. OThat means out of 1160 CI it must be within 6 CI. If there is an issue it is almost always that the pump is giving too much fuel. The reason for this is because the metering chamber in the pumps wear. Fuel sneaks by without getting measured. The other end is when the metering camber locks up. Then you can not get fuel. If a pump checks just a little low it is almost always due to tampering by the owners. t makes no difference what pressure or speed you pump at. Any fuel going through the metering chamber in a gas/diesel pump will be measured. I think you can pretty much eliminate the pump as an issue or variable, Too insignificant to matter.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,990 Posts
That is a big thing right there, some slabs have a slope and it does make a difference. Some pumps are hard to get a little trickle to get it to the same point too, there is a hard pull to get it to come on then it's full force. I like what I call soft nozzles where I can trickle it in.

That is exactly my point in post 33.

Another BIG variable can be how empty the tank was when you start. A half inch lower in the tube and a captured air bubble in the tank might be significant if you are only putting 2 gallons in, but if you're filling an empty tank, that half inch and a bubble are now a much smaller percentage of the total.

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
That is exactly my point in post 33.

Another BIG variable can be how empty the tank was when you start. A half inch lower in the tube and a captured air bubble in the tank might be significant if you are only putting 2 gallons in, but if you're filling an empty tank, that half inch and a bubble are now a much smaller percentage of the total.
I'm sorry Dennis. I thought you were asking about the accuracy of the pump only. My mistake...again. :)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
So Dennis I've averaged my fuel mileage over the last 38,880KM, how much longer do I go before I can report accurate mileage?:ROFL:

21 - 40 of 68 Posts